Chapter 101

Vegeta:

Vegeta suppressed an annoyed sigh. How much longer was this going to take? The referee had introduced himself, then a penguin-like creature had sung a ridiculous anthem and nothing else had happened yet.

The friends and family they had brought with them had made themselves comfortable on the platform that hovered a little above the ring and resembled a patch of meadow. Kakarrot's mate had already unpacked lots of food and was feeding everyone around her. Where on earth did she hide all the supplies?

"Come on, Goku. You start." Beerus nodded towards the fighting ring.

"See you in a minute!"

Grinning broadly, he jumped off the platform directly into the fighting ring. Tensely they watched to see who from the Sixth Universe would enter the ring first.

"Is that ... a bear?" sceptically Vegeta looked down.

"Looks like an overgrown stuffed animal," Kera muttered.

"That's Botamo," Whis enlightened them. "Don't let his appearance fool you. His race is very strong."

Vegeta looked more closely at Kakarrot's opponent. Botamo towered over Kakarrot by quite a bit and scowled down at him. Everything about the bear appeared rounded. Its skin was yellow and shiny. It even seemed to reflect the light in some places. He wore red gloves, a red shirt and red boots.

"What is Kakarrot doing?" Vegeta faltered as his gaze fell back on the Saiyan who was calmly doing stretches in the ring.

"Warming up. He's sluggish after dinner." Kera grinned.

"He could have done that up here, couldn't he?" Vegeta shook his head at such carelessness.

Botamo seemed to have had enough of waiting now too, for he opened his mouth and to Vegeta's surprise, shot beams of energy from it. Kakarrot dodged the beams, getting closer and closer to Botamo until he could hit him with kicks and punches.

"Damn it," Kera cursed. "Botamo doesn't mind the hits. His body just cushions everything."

"Kakarrot, use your head for once! Even if it's hard," Vegeta shouted, hoping that Kakarrot would quickly come up with a strategy on how to defeat this huge pillow.

Kakarott looked up at them, thought for a moment, and then ran towards Botamo. Head first, he jumped off and rammed it into the centre of his opponent's body.

Vegeta held his hands in front of his face while Kera laughed out loud. "He always takes everything so literally."

No sooner had Kakarrot's feet touched the floor of the ring again than he bent down and grabbed Botamo's right leg. He pulled so hard that the bear lost his balance and landed crashing on the ground. Instead of letting go of the leg, Kakarrot dragged the slightly dazed Botamo to the edge of the ring and dropped him outside.

"Goku wins the match against Botamo," the ring judge announced. On the oval scoreboard, Botamo's image turned grey, indicating that he had been out.

"Okay, that wasn't so bad," said Kera, nodding happily at Kakarrot.

Champa was already standing by the referee, apparently complaining that Kakarrot had used unfair means, but the referee did not take up the complaint and reached for his microphone again.

"Goku goes into the second round for the Seventh Universe. His opponent from the Sixth Universe is named Frost."

Vegeta felt, more than heard, Kera suck in a sharp breath of air. Then she reached for his hand and squeezed it tightly. Now he too realised what had made her so uneasy.