12: Light a Fire

It takes us thirty minutes to end up in the big city. He hands the keys to the valet and comes over to my side to open my door rather than the valet himself. I step out after grabbing his hand.

"Who's the girl?" Some ask. "Gosh, isn't he handsome?" Others ask. I assumed he was well-known, but I didn't realize everyone was swooning over him.

He tucks my hand in his arm as we walk in together. Someone holds the door for us. "Mr. Bianchi. We weren't expecting you. If we knew, we would have set up—"

"Under Wilson," he says. "Evan's restaurant," he explains.

"Yes sir. I see that. Come right this way."

We sit down in the back away from everyone else. Bread and butter are brought to the table. "Drinks?" The waiter asks.

"Mezcal," he says.

"And for the lady?" He asks me. I look at Romeo and shrug my shoulders.

"Champaign," Romeo speaks for me.

"I'll get those right out for you."

"You think you know me well?" I laugh.

"I know that this isn't nearly as strong as what my boys gave you a few weeks ago. I laugh."

"I don't even remember that night." He chuckles and shakes his head. "How do you order in English?" I ask him.

"What do you want?" I look at the menu. "What is the steak?"

"Bistec," he says.

"Ah," I say and nod my head. "That sounds good." I listen to Romeo as he orders. I so desperately want to know English. If I know English, then I won't stand out from everyone. I'll fit in more. I'll be able to make friends that aren't from the mafia.

"Did you find a dress?" He asks me.

"Let's just say I used your credit card."

"Good girl." Good girl. Wow. That made me heat up inside.

Our food is brought out. We eat together in silence. It's a comfortable silence. When we are finished, we order dessert. My dessert has strawberries. I've never had strawberries before.

I eat my dessert in no time. Romeo chuckles. "Good?" He chuckles.

"Yeah," I mumble. I blush a little bit. I itch my lips while I hide my blushing face from Romeo.

He hands the card to the waiter without even looking at the check to pay.

...

Romeo drives us home. When we get back home, he brings me to the door of my room. "I had fun with you," he says.

"Romeo," I whisper. I look at him through my eyelashes. I grab his arm and pull him inside.

"What are you doing, baby?"

"I want you to teach me..." I whisper. I get all shy and everything now. I turn away from him to try to forget about it.