21: Little Miracles

Elizabeth

Four days later

Everyone is preparing to leave for the States. We have a private jet lined up. Our bags are stationed in one truck as we pile into a few other vehicles.

"We need to get ready to leave," Romeo coaxes as he pulls me out of bed. He picks out some clothes for me. I sit up in bed and rub my eyes. "You look pale," he comments.

"Thanks," I groan. He chuckles and smothers me in kisses. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. I bring my hand under his shirt where his scar is. He flinches until he doesn't. "It's ok, my love," I whisper. "It's me." He holds me even tighter to reassure himself of the things that have happened.

"Don't you ever think about leaving me," he says and kisses my neck. "Now take a shower and freshen up. We'll leave in forty-five minutes."

He leaves to get ready. I'm alone in the room.

I turn on the shower water and begin to take off my clothes. "Romeo," I say as I lean against the counter. I'm exhausted. I don't even know if I can stand myself.

I pause from taking off my t-shirt and hold my head in my hands. I sway back and forth. I'm unable to keep myself up.

I sit on the ground so I don't fall and hit my head. "Alina," I call out. Maybe she's closer.

"Hey. What's wrong?" She asks as she knocks on the door. She comes inside. "Damn, why is it so steamy in here—" she looks at me as I sit on the ground. "Now why are we sitting on the ground?" She chuckles. She kneels in front of me and feels my forehead. "You're a bit warm," she says. She grabs a washcloth and puts the cold compress against the back of my neck.

"Where's Romeo?" I ask her.

"I'll get him. How's that?"

In a few seconds, Romeo comes into the bathroom. He turns off the shower water and leans against the counter to watch me for a minute. "Maybe you're pale because you're sick," he suggests.

"Nice going, son," Alina scoffs.

"Mami, I'm trying my best."

"You're going to be a great father," she scoffs. I cock my head up to him. Alina hasn't caught on, but Romeo looks at me. He hasn't taken his eyes off of me.

"Can I talk to her alone?" He asks her. She huffs and mumbles while leaving the room. When the door closes, he kneels to me. "Are you late?" He asks me.

"Late for what?" I ask him. He sighs and nods his head.

"Your period," he explains. "It happens every month or so. Have you had your period this month?"

"No," I say. Before he can even ask me another question, I gather the pieces. "I'm ten days late." I see a little smirk form on his face as he touches my stomach. "Does that mean..." I pause. "Am I pregnant?"

"Are you pregnant?" We ask at the same time. I all of a sudden get really excited.

I perk up for a minute. "Wait," I pause. Romeo chuckles. "How do we know for sure?"