CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MIA

"What was that all about?" Cass inquires, glancing towards Ashley and her friends who are now hurling insults at me. She raises her hand and defiantly flips them off.

"I can't believe I used to be friends with her. The audacity of her telling me to stop 'wanting' her man. It's ridiculous," I fume.

"Her man?" Cass asks, confusion evident on her face.

"Apparently, Matteo is supposedly hers, and she thinks I'm desperate for him. She even went as far as spreading rumors that I slept with the entire team. Can you believe the nonsense that comes out of her mouth?" I angrily relay the details.

"Let's just ignore her. She's so irritating. I was actually planning to collaborate with her on Instagram after graduation, but now I don't think I will. She doesn't deserve my time," Cass asserts, a hint of sadness in her eyes suggesting she had been crying.

"Hey, are you alright?" I ask, stepping closer and reaching out to brush the hair away from her face. Her expression drops, and she stares at the ground. When she finally looks up, I gently wipe the tears from her eyes with my thumbs. Without hesitation, she wraps her arms around me, and I hold her close, offering silent comfort.

"Thank you," she says softly. "We'll talk about everything later tonight in the dorm, okay? But for now, let's enjoy ourselves, take photos, and relax. Look at all these attractive players, huh?" She points towards the field.

"I love you," I tell her sincerely.

"I love you more. Give me a kiss," she playfully demands, pouting her lips towards me. I oblige, giving her a tender peck. "Now tell me, what do you need from me?" she adds.

"Well, since you always take perfect photos, I need your help in posing some of the players for their shots. We also need to ensure we capture everyone, especially those in their final year," I explain as we make our way towards the benches where some players are seated.

"Hi guys, Nathan," Cass greets them with a sweet tone, winking at him. They all turn towards us, wearing friendly smiles. I notice our classmate and Captain Carter wink at me, causing me to blush uncontrollably.

"So, would you guys be kind enough to let Mia take your photos for the magazine? We understand that you're busy with practice, but Mia captures the best shots. Plus, she's single," Cass teases, glancing mischievously at me. I shoot her a glare while she innocently smiles back. Traitor!

"Well, isn't that perfect for me then? I'll go last. Boys, line up!" Carter declares. "And don't hesitate to boss them around, Mia. If anyone gives you trouble, let me know," he winks before dashing onto the field.

"Someone seems to have a crush on you," Cass whispers. I choose to ignore her comment as she assists in lining up the players one by one. Most of them are either too eager or in a hurry, but I enjoy how Cass's presence brings joy and laughter to their faces through her amusing poses. We capture action shots, portraits, and even some unconventional poses, and soon enough, all my worries fade away, replaced by pure happiness in my heart.

"Alright, I think we have two more players left. The quarterback and the captain. Who should we choose first?" I inquire.

"Do you remember who the quarterback is? Ethan?" Cass prompts.

"Oh no, I was dreading that. How about we start with Captain Carter first, then Ethan last? That way, we can interrogate him about Cam," I suggest.

"That's a perfect idea, Mia. This is why I love you. You even hold my brain," Cass jokes, and we all laugh as we make our way towards the bleachers where Carter and Nathan are seated.