CHAPTER FOUR

MIA

Describing this semester as smooth would be foolish. After settling into my dorm room and preparing for class, I had four more classes to attend before the day would end. Our school had strict policies and attending this elite institution meant more opportunities for its students: top colleges and universities, scholarships, and job prospects. Only the wealthy could afford to be here.

Entering my class, I was relieved to see that the teacher hadn't arrived yet. My best friend, Cassandra Potter, quickly stood up and rushed over to hug me. She was stunningly beautiful with long blonde hair and flawless makeup. She was obsessed with social media and had over a million followers who followed her life. Her parents were wealthy businesspeople who owned skyscrapers in New York and hotel chains worldwide. She was the epitome of every person's dream girl and one of the most popular girls in school.

"You didn't tell me you were coming back today!" she exclaimed excitedly as she hugged me tightly.

"Sorry, my mom took away my phone before I could let you know. But I'm here now. I missed you," I replied.

"Well, did you at least get a new one for school like I told you?" she asked.

"Yes, I did!" I exclaimed, thrilled to share the news.

"Get out of my way before I push you down!" an aggressive voice interrupted us from behind. Cass and I were still near the entryway, where she continued hugging me.

"Oh no, I prefer this view. Look at their bosoms touching. A little girl-on-girl action. Beautiful, like a Picasso painting," someone else chimed in, predictably Alex. Matteo shot him a menacing glare before turning his attention back to Cass and me.

"Don't speak to us like that, Matteo! And for you, Alex, it's just a figment of your wildest dreams," Cass retorted, flipping him off before pulling me to our seats. The room filled with stare, and as we sat down, I couldn't help but gaze back at Matteo, who seemed to be watching me intently. Why on earth was he in my class?

The teacher finally entered, and the class continued for the next forty-five minutes. He didn't seem to mind Matteo's presence here nor his friends'. Towards the end of the class, the teacher addressed the upcoming dance and fashion show.

"I hope everyone is prepared for the final dance and fashion show. One month is not much time to prepare. Miss Mia, come see me after class," the teacher announced. Five minutes later, the bell rang, and while others left, I stayed behind to speak with Mr. Larkin. Meanwhile, Matteo continued to stare at me, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I had inadvertently become a target in his world.

"Miss Mia, as you know, you are the chairperson of the dance committee. Have you made sufficient progress with your team? Is everything in order?" Mr. Larkin asked.

"Yes, Mr. Larkin. Things are going well. We have secured most of the necessary supplies, and the students showcasing their designs are in the final stages of completion," I replied.

"What about your designs? We discussed them, didn't we? If you plan to pursue a career in this field, you need to step out of your comfort zone, both now and in college," he advised.

"I don't think I'm ready for others to see my dresses and designs. What if they don't like them? I'm not sure I can handle that level of criticism right now."

"Well, you don't have much of a choice. I will push you to reach your potential. You have two options: showcase your designs or fail my class and repeat next year. You do the math. Remember you're supposed to graduate high school next month," he added, then left.

Damn it! I couldn't risk jeopardizing my perfect grades. There was no way I would willingly retake a class. I ran my hand through my dark hair and headed towards the door. It was lunchtime, and I was certain Cass would be waiting for me in the cafeteria.

"And where do you think you're going in such a hurry?" Alex blocked my path, sneering.

"Just let me leave. I'm not in the mood for you right now," I said, attempting to push past him.

"Lucky for you, I'm not the one looking for you, huh?" he jeered and moved aside. Matteo walked in.

"Little Miss Prim and Proper," he muttered, his eyes fixed on me. "Alex, leave us and close the door. No one gets in," he commanded, and Alex obeyed without question.

"What do you want?" I asked, bewildered. What did he want from me? I took a few steps back until my back met the wall.

"You are in my way, and I don't appreciate that. I don't like sharing the same air as you," he growled, closing the distance between us.

"What have I ever done to you? I've never done anything to you, and now you're harassing me. Please stop," I pleaded.

"Why the hell did my nosy cousin just inform me that I'm engaged to you?" he spat, his hand tightening around my throat. I was shocked, to say the least.

"What do you mean? I don't understand," I stammered, fear creeping in. His grip on my throat constricted my breathing, while his other hand held mine behind my back, pinning me against the wall.

"Your damn parents! My damn parents! They've arranged our engagement. This is all because of you! Did you beg Mommy and Daddy to tie me to you?" he seethed, his gaze growing darker and angrier. My breaths became shallow.

"I can't breathe, Matteo. Please stop," I whispered, tears streaming down my face. He licked a tear from my cheek to my eye, leaving me stunned and rooted to the spot, my vision blurring due to the lack of oxygen under his tight grip.

"I like it when you beg like that cara. I'm going to relish breaking you. Piece by piece until you regret being engaged to me. I will be your shadow, and you'll yearn for the light that banishes me," he declared, releasing his hold on me. Gasping for air, I realized that my life would never be the same. He walked away, leaving me shocked and shattered. What the actual fuck?