CHAPTER FIVE

MIA

I watch as Cass finishes up her lunch since my appetite is gone , and she immediately questions the news I just shared. "Engaged? Are you kidding? You're only seventeen! Isn't that illegal or something? Also, what the fuck is Matteo's problem?" I recount the whole story to her, from Matteo's aggressive actions to the forced engagement, even mentioning the incident in the bathroom.

"I need to call my mom. This can't be real, right? She wouldn't do something like this to me. Maybe I should talk to Killian first. He always tells me the truth, and Mom will just lie and ask about where I got a phone. Did she know before she sent me to school today?" I suggest, feeling overwhelmed.

"Definitely. You can use my phone so Killian doesn't get suspicious either. We could even sneak back into the dorms now if you want," Cass offers, trying to help.

"No, I don't want to risk getting in trouble before we graduate . We'll call him after classes. Let's go to class for now. We only have ten minutes until our next one starts," I decide, trying to push through the situation. We gather our things and prepare to leave.

Suddenly, a student with dark brown hair, an ear piercing, and a wide, friendly smile interrupts our departure. "Hey, Mia right? Sorry to bother you. I'm Cameron, or Cam. Mr. Larkin suggested I talk to you about the fashion show. Are you busy?" he asks cheerfully, causing us to pause.

"Oh, hi Cam. Nice to meet you. You seem new here. I haven't seen you before," I greet him.

"Yeah, I transferred schools recently. I've been here for about two months, but I've been keeping a low profile," he explains.

"What did you want to talk about regarding the show?" I inquire, curious about his intentions.

"Well, I have some design submissions I'd love to showcase with my model. I know it's late to submit, but I've been hesitant to approach you. Since you were absent last week, I finally gathered the courage with Mr. Larkin's encouragement," Cam confesses, clearly excited.

"I'd love to have you as a designer. I'll find a way to squeeze you into the program," I promise, and Cam's excitement is palpable as he hugs me spontaneously. I freeze, not expecting the sudden physical contact.

"Oh, sorry. I got carried away. I'm just really excited. Thank you so much," he says, pulling away and looking embarrassed.

"It's alright, I understand," I assure him. "We'll talk later. Right now, we have to get to class." I say as he leaves us.

"What was that about? Doesn't he know about personal boundaries?" Cass asks as we leave the cafeteria. Cass is the kind of girl people would describe as perfect, unapproachable and popular. In other words, a bitch, which is definitely far from who she actually is. She just, "hated" people, like not in a bad way.

"Aww, he's just excited. I don't think he meant any harm. He's just cute too!" I defend Cam, not seeing any ill intentions in his actions.

"Who's this cute guy you are talking about and why did he hug you?" a familiar grumpy voice interrupts. Of course, it's Matteo. I inwardly roll my eyes.

"What does it matter to you? Quit blocking our path!" Cass retorts, shooting him a hostile glare. Matteo is accompanied by Alex and two other guys, Ethan and Lucas.

"Of course, you're back for barely a day, and you're already throwing yourself at anyone. And this, guys, is the person I'm engaged to," Matteo sneers. I refuse to tolerate his disrespectful behavior. Grabbing Cass's hand, I storm out of the cafeteria while people around us stare. Alex winks, but Cass immediately flips him off.

I admire Cass's unyielding spirit. She's incredibly strong and stands up to anyone who tries to mess with her or her friends. Only I know the reasons behind her unwavering strength – her own demons chase her whenever her walls crumble.

We breeze through the rest of our classes, though I can't help but notice the disdainful glances from fellow students. It's not due to my father's reputation; I'm sure Matteo has painted a target on my back. Thankfully, he and his friends, except for Luca, skip the remaining classes for the day.

Luca has always intrigued me. He exudes an aura of composure, calculated calmness, and silence. People gossip about him incessantly, but their stories deviate significantly from the image he portrays. As Cass and I head towards the dorms, I catch Luca staring at me. Our gazes lock, and it feels as though he's trying to decipher what's going on in my mind.

"Did you hear that he killed his father? And that's when he inherited all that money? He's insanely wealthy and as cold as ice," Cass remarks, glancing back at Luca.

"What? I heard he killed his bodyguard with his bare hands because the guard killed his father. Others say his mother commanded him to kill his own father," I chip in.

"Wow, so many rumors! I don't even know what's true anymore. But I don't mind looking at him. He's actually really cute, even if he's heartless," Cass admits.

"That's true. Plus, his British accent is to die for," I remark, giggling. Finally, we arrive at our dorm, one of the more prestigious ones on campus. We share a room, and our dorm houses twelve other rooms, each equipped with a kitchenette, a small living room, a bathroom, and a spacious bedroom with two queen-sized beds. Cass and I insisted on being roommates despite being able to afford separate rooms. We have been roommates since day one, and our dorm mainly accommodates students whose parents can afford the cost. Other dorms consist of communal facilities and divided bed spaces.

"Here, use my phone to call your brother. Don't forget to say hi to him for me. Want some juice?" Cass offers, handing me her phone as she walks to the kitchen and I sink down on the couch.

"If there's orange, sure. And no, I won't mention it. Remember, we agreed that he's too old for you!" I tease as I dial Killian's number.

"Killian? It's me, Mia. Hi," I greet him as he answers.

"Hey M. I thought you were back at school?" he asks.

"Yeah, I am. I'm using Cass's phone. And before you freak out, she's allowed to have one because of her social media work for the school," I explain, trying to preempt any objections.

"Ah, I see. I don't have much time, though. I'm meeting Mom, Dad, and the Bertelli family for dinner in ten minutes," Killian informs me, sounding preoccupied.

"Killian, please tell me the truth. Am I actually engaged? To anyone? I overheard a rumor, and I wanted to know.Is that why you're meeting the Bertellis? Since when have you known Kill?" I ask, my voice barely a whisper. He takes a moment to respond, an unusual silence that worries me.

"Yes, M. It's true. We have all known for around three months. But you won't get married until you finish college. This is all my fault. I'm so sorry," he confesses, his voice filled with remorse.

"Why is it your fault ? Why would Mom and Dad agree to this? It's insane. We're not living in the fifteenth century. Can't you talk them out of it? Please?" I plead, desperate for a solution.

"There's nothing I can do, M. The decision has been made, and we're meeting to finalize the contracts so that an official announcement is made. I truly am sorry, sis. I wish things were different. I have to go," he abruptly ends the call, leaving me stunned. Unable to hold back, I break down into tears. Cass sits beside me, silently comforting me as I sob uncontrollably.