3rd chapter / GUN records

He wondered if he could find records of Mia in G.U.N's database. However, he didn't work for them--he was far too young--and wasn't about to resort to illegally hacking into their servers. He did have an aunt who had a job at G.U.N, though.

--

"Thanks, Aunt Anna." Shadow nodded at the older woman standing in the doorway.

"I still don't feel very good about this..." She sat down on her floral-printed couch and continued, "Why do you need me to search the database?"

Shadow told her, "...It's for a project on Mobius history my class is doing." It's fine to lie to her as long as it isn't hurting anyone, right?

Anna raised an eyebrow suspiciously and propped up her laptop on the coffee table. "Okay..."

"Just who are you looking for, anyway?" She inquired.

"A girl in a blue dress with blonde hair--I'm pretty certain she's dead. I think her name's Mia."

A ping! sounded from his aunt's laptop.

"The best match is Maria Robotnik, who died over 50 years ago."

Maria...

-

"Shadow, why don't we do a puzzle together?" The young girl smiled at him.

"Sure!"

Oh, how innocent and full of joy he was. If only he knew her fate.

"I'm going to go get the puzzle..."

Maria got up and ran in the other direction--before she stumbled and fell.

"Maria!" That yell would be repeated later, in much worse conditions.

"I'm fine, Shadow, I swear--" Maria weakly tried getting up.

Shadow whined in protest. "Grandpa says you're getting sicker..." He frowned.

"I told you, it's nothing." Maria gave a pained smile of reassurance to Shadow.

-

"Nocturn? Are you okay?"

Aunt Anna's words forcibly snapped Shadow out of his thoughts. He cringed internally after hearing the word "Nocturn" come out of Anna's mouth. He will tell his family someday. Just not now.

"...I'm fine. Was just thinking, is all."

"Can you send me those files or something?" Shadow asked.

His aunt thought for a second before responding. "Well, technically I can't, but I could send you the basic details."

"Thank you."

--

He could swear he heard Anna say something along the lines of "He does look kind of like... No, it can't be." on his way out.