Chapter Two: An Unexpected Meeting

I opened my eyes to darkness, but I knew what time of day it was. Dawn, according to Earth. I blinked, trying to shake the sleepiness away. I yawned and then stretched my hands into the air, my back cracking. I yawned again and then slumped back against the creaky old bed frame. My black panther, Shade, slid his head into my lap and purred when I stroked him behind the ears unconsciously. I winced when my fingers brushed against his scar. He glanced up at me with golden eyes and I sighed. "He's gone, isn't he?"

Shade purred and then let out a snort, which indicated a yes.

"Thought so. No wonder you came here so early." I looked up at the ceiling with a sigh, throwing my thin blanket aside and picking at the edge of my black shirt. I had quite the collection of black clothing, mostly because my dad didn't like me wearing any other kind of color. Shade pawed after me, sniffing the air. He was almost as tall as me, his muscles rippling with force. He looked over at me and then nudged me on my back, purring.

"What?" I asked, "What do you want?"

Shade nudged me again, this time tilting his nose to the sky. I looked up at it and then realized that there was a hole in the roof and the moonlight was still shining through. I frowned. Weird. Unless...

"Ohhh." I nodded with realization, "Man in the Moon. Got you, Shade."

My panther huffed, as if he couldn't believe how long it took me to realize what he was trying to tell me.

"Manny." I tossed a salute at the moon, "Hello."

Kiara. The moon whispered, Lovely to see you.

"It's Kia." I murmured, "Never got to tell anyone, but... I like that name, too."

Kia it is. The moon whispered and I smiled. The moon didn't talk to me often and usually when he did, it wasn't a long conversation. At least the moon acknowledged that I exist.

"Are you here for long?" I asked, sitting down on the ground, stroking Shade's head as he nuzzled me in the face. "Shh, I'm talking to Manny, Shade. Don't block my face." I giggled when Shade licked my nose.

No. I see your father is not home, however. The moon sighed disappointedly, its sigh rippling across my skin like a mist.

"Don't expect him to be." I shrugged one shoulder and then glanced at the sky. The sun was about to come up. I quickly said, "Can I ask you something, please, Manny?"

Yes. The moon murmured.

"Who's Jack Frost?" I asked.

The moon seemed to hesitate for a moment before a beam of its light shined down onto the floor. I backed up into the shadows and then looked up curiously as shining words formed onto the ground.

"Jack Frost is a future Guardian."

I tilted my head and let out a surprised noise, "A future guardian, huh? Well... glad he didn't see me then, because Dad would be very angry with me if he saw me and I'm not getting on Dad's nerves."

Your paths are destined to cross again. The moon suddenly whispered and I looked up at the sky, my eyes wide.

"What?" I yelped but then the moon vanished from the sky, replaced by the sun. "Great." I huffed. "Just when I needed to question the moon the most. Thanks a lot, Manny!" I shouted up into the sky and then brushed my hair back when it fell in my face again.

Shade nudged my shoulder with his nose and I looked over at him. He purred and nudged his nose in the direction where Manny's message was still written, even though it was now a little faded.