Chapter Thirteen: Easter

"Privet." North greeted in Russian as we walked back into the headquarters, our faces flushed from the cold. "What were you two doing out there that took you both so long?"

Jack stiffened and then scratched the back of his head, "Uh... we were training with... with Kia's magic. She uh... asked me for some tips on it, so..."

"You know magic?" Bunny asked, his eyes narrowing as he tucked his boomerang somewhere in his knapsack, "What do you mean Kia's magic? What are you talking about?"

"Oh, come on, Bunny. You're smart. You can figure it out." I said to Bunny, who harrumphed and then leaned back, backing off and crossing his arms. "Besides, I know that you act the way you do anyways because you secretly care."

"I-" As Bunny sputtered, I saw Jack muffle a snort and I smirked. Toothiana zipped up behind North with Baby Teeth right behind her and she tilted her head at me. I blinked at her.

"Yes?" I asked.

"You guys weren't training out there, weren't you?" Toothiana put her hands on her hips as she scanned Jack and I up and down. Oops. I thought to myself. I didn't realize that we were out for that long.

"... What did you think we were doing then?" Jack asked, his voice even as he leveled his gaze with Toothiana.

"You two were goofing off." Toothiana pointed at the long strip of ice that extended outside the exit, "We saw you two sliding on the thing for the longest time until you both disappeared from eye view."

"Spying now, are we?" I asked, slightly relieved that Toothiana didn't figure out what we were actually doing.

"You guys were just outside the window. It wasn't spying." Toothiana said and Jack shook his head with a chuckle.

"No need to get so defensive." He whispered in my ear, "Is it really that bad if they know now? I mean, no more secrets, so..." Jack shrugged his shoulders when I looked at him, "I'm fine either way, Kia, but I want you to make the decision."

"I don't know." I hissed back, "I'm indecisive. Plus, I'm new to this. They're like our parents, except we both know who they are and they're... ughhhhh, it's so complicated." I sighed.

"What are you two whispering for? We're right here." North gestured at him, Toothiana, and Bunny. Jack straightened and I crossed my arms, feeling awkward as we both stood there.

"Well," I broke eye contact, "what are we gonna do now?"

"To lift our spirits..." Bunny tilted his head, "Easter is just around the corner, folks. We could use that to save us. Pitch..." Bunny glanced at me, unable to say what he was going to say. Instead of shrinking back, I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms, but not defiantly.

"You can say it. I know." I responded. It felt like I had a new suit of armor on now. I was toughened by what I had to endure. A death. Hurting. Mental weakness. But now, I was ready for what was to come. Dad had said I wasn't his daughter. It hurt, of course, but not even something like that from my own father is going to cut me down or make me regret meeting Jack.

"Right." Bunny nodded, even though he still seemed uncertain.

"You do care." I smirked.

"No, I don't!" Bunny protested, throwing up his paws. "I'm just worried that if I say it, you'll have a nervous breakdown and then everyone will call me a rude rabbit and tell me to be ashamed of myself, mate."

"You'll never admit it, but you do." I grinned.

"Nah, Bunny's stubborn. He's never gonna say anything." Jack shook his head, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I laughed when Bunny sputtered out a protest.