Chapter Ten: Goodbye

We fought like there was no tomorrow.

I leapt forward and stabbed my dagger into a Nightmare charging at me, twisting it as the sand shuffled around my blade. The Nightmare fell to the ground before dissipating into nothing. I turned around to find Sandy whipping the Nightmares back. I looked over at Jack, who was lashing out with his staff.

"Please, please, please..." I whispered, not particularly knowing what I was pleading for. Suddenly, Dad gasped and I looked up with a grin. There, in the sky, flew North's sleigh.

"Oh, gosh." Jack rubbed at his face when we saw that Toothiana was perched snugly onto North, still lightly snoring. North was snoring himself and I facepalmed. What an entrance.

Then, the sleigh crashed onto the ground, waking everyone up. Sandman shook his head with exasperation before he leapt onto the cloud, pulling Jack and I on too. He lifted us into the air, just as Nightmares came crashing by. "Nightmares!" I yelped, "Lots and lots of Nightmares, Sandman!"

"I've got you!" Jack shouted as he leapt forward, shielding me as he spun his staff around, the wood glowing with the bright blue magic. I closed my eyes and then opened them again when I heard Jack let out a yell as he spiraled down from Sandman's cloud.

"Jack!" I screamed as the worst scenarios played in my head. Jack had been hit by the Nightmare. He was unconscious. He was dying. He was dead...

"I'm okay!" Jack called back as he struck a Nightmare with ice. The Nightmare hissed out a low breath before freezing and dropping to the ground below as it shattered.

Tooth spun around and kicked a nightmare, obliterating it out of her path.

Jack killed another Nightmare.

Dad laughed with malice lacing his voice.

Bunny killed a dozen more Nightmares with one more throw of his boomerang, making Jack duck as the boomerang nearly grazed him. Bunny grinned and lifted an eyebrow, "I told you you might wanna duck!"

North pulled out his swords, standing up on his sleigh as he cut down any Nightmare that approached him.

I jumped off the cloud, floating on my own as I pierced through the Nightmares that came at me with my blade, determined to end my father's madness.

"They need our help!" Jack shouted when he saw that I was alone, nearly surrounded by Nightmares, while Sandman was occupied somewhere else.

"Yah!" North shouted, snapping the reins.

I turned around to find Dad pulling back a bow that he had made, with one single arrow on it, directed at Sandman, who was surrounded. I gasped and then flew at him, trying to knock him back before he could...

"Boom." I saw Dad whisper, just as the arrow released and stabbed Sandman in the back.

The whole world seemed to freeze as I screamed, "No!!"

Sandman shuddered, his mouth opening in gasps of silent pain. I sobbed and then rushed forward even faster, trying to catch Sandman as he fell.

"Kiara, stop!" Jack shouted as he rushed forward, too.

"Jack, wait!" North bellowed afterwards.

"Sandy!" I screamed, the shout ripping out of my throat like some fierce warrior. That's what I couldn't be. I couldn't save Sandman, even as he was dying.

"Don't fight the fear, little man!" Dad laughed, shaking his head. I wanted to strangle him. How could he, after all that had happened? He just killed our friend.

"Kiara, please wait for me!" Jack cried as he flew, right behind my heels.

"I'd say sweet dreams," Pitch shook his head, "but there aren't any left."

"I'm going to kill you!" I shrieked, tears running down my face. Sandman sped past me, still darkened by my father's poison, and he smiled weakly at me before he was enveloped by black sand.

"No!" Jack screamed.

"Sandy?" North whispers, his face contorted in emotional pain.

"Oh, hello." Dad turned to face me, every inch of his face shadowed, "I hope you like my parting gift, daughter."

And with that, a knife pierced my shoulder. I gasped as it dug into my flesh and the pain doubled the more it stayed in. I shivered and then looked up at my father, who grinned satisfactorily at me. He waved and then I started plummeting from the sky, unable to generate enough energy to fly back up.

"Kiara!" Jack stopped and then dove after me. I closed my eyes and just wished that everything would stop. But it didn't stop. Everything kept replaying in my mind. Over and over and over... Sandy's death, his last smile, the roars of pain, the damn Nightmares... I opened my eyes to find Jack holding me by my waist and he flew upwards, making my back arch limply. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders as I sobbed, burying my face into his neck as my tears fell. Jack stiffened, but he didn't pull me away.

"Aww, shedding tears for him?" I looked up to find Dad pouting mockingly before he smirked, "You don't even know him that well, Kiara. Shedding tears is pointless."

"You killed him." I whispered, wincing as the pain quadrupled.

"I had to." Dad smiled and shook his head, "You poor naive soul. I wonder sometimes how you are my daughter."

Then, the Nightmares came crashing down towards us. I clenched my teeth and then made the hardest decision I ever had to make in my life.

I used my shadow magic again.

I flicked out my wrist and dark shadows danced across my fingertips. I lifted my shaky arm out and sent the magic flying towards the army. Jack looked down at me and then what I had just sent. The Nightmares backed up, but then they kept coming.

"No..." I whispered out loud, dipping in and out from consciousness.

Jack then put his staff forward and then sent out a massive ice wave. The whole entire Nightmare legion stiffened into place and Dad gasped, leaning over his black chariot.

"How?" He whispered and then Jack's eyes rolled to the back of his head. We both started to fall from the sky and I tried to regain my ability to fly, but I couldn't. All I could do was weakly grasp at the air. For a second, I hallucinated my father taking my hand. But then, that wish was gone and I kept plummeting.

Suddenly, Toothiana zipped by and caught Jack, placing him back on the sleigh before she caught me, doing the same to me. Jack opened his eyes and then rubbed at his forehead, grimacing. Toothiana put my head on her leg, "Kiara!" She looked down at the knife handle and then gasped. "How long was the blade?"

"How did you do that?" A voice asked, but I couldn't tell who. Everyone's voice was as distorted and broken as a piece of glass from a shattered mirror.

"I-I don't know." Jack stammered, putting one hand to his head, before he noticed I was on the ground.

"We need to head back home now!" Toothiana shouted, "Kiara's hurt!"

"Kia!" Jack collapsed onto the ground next to me, holding my head as he hugged me close to his chest. I managed a weak smile at him and his eyes shone with tears. "No, no, no... Stay with me, please!"

"North Pole." I heard North whisper into a snow globe and he tossed it into the air, making a portal that hummed loudly. Bunny clutched at the side of the sleigh, his expression unreadable.

"Come on, Kiara. Hang on." Jack murmured down to me frantically.

"Jack..." I whispered, but then my eyes slipped closed.

But not before I heard Jack whisper, "I love you."