Chapter Seventeen: Jamie Bennet

Quiet surrounded us as we landed back in Burgess, on the roof of Jamie's house. I assume that Dad still thought Jack and I were trying to get out of the ravine, so he wasn't standing right where we were. But he could still be here too.

Part of me was thinking, We don't owe the Guardians anything. They kicked us out. They kicked Jack out. But there was also a part of me that knew that this was our fault. This was one step towards making up the debt to the Guardians, who we had destroyed.

"Love..." I stepped forward, touching Jack's arm. He looked at me, his hood up as he did. He lowered it and then stepped towards me until his face was inches away from mine. He smiled down at me hesitantly and lifted my chin so that all I could see was him while the other hand snaked around my waist.

"What is it?" Jack whispered to me.

"I... I don't know." I rubbed my eyes, "I guess that... I guess that I just really miss... everything. I miss when everything was perfect, when the Guardians trusted us, when you would always smile so widely like you used to, I miss..." Shade.

"We're still the same people, you know." Jack murmured to me. "You are still my girlfriend, I am forever yours, and the Guardians... Well, I don't know what will happen with them, my love, but I am sure that this will help them." Jack put one hand on my cheek and I smiled, closing my eyes and leaning into it. When I opened them again, Jack smiled. "Let's go get them, happy eyes."

"Ugh, stopppp." I groaned with a smirk as we both floated down to the window that allowed us to see into Jamie's room. Jack floated towards the window and then I floated next to him. Once I settled in, I listened to what Jamie was telling a stuffed bunny in his hand.

"Okay, listen." Jamie took a big breath, as if he was about to give some big speech. "You and I are obviously at a crossroads, so here's what's going to happen. You're going to show me that you're real."

"Poor kid." Jack shook his head, "He's our last light."

"I've believed in you! My whole life!" Jamie exclaimed, as if he was fed up. I couldn't help but relate to how he was feeling. I've believed in my dad my whole life after my mother passed away. It felt horrible to have that trust broken or wrenched away from you. Dad grew distant because Mom passed away. We fell apart because Mom fell apart. "You kind of owe me this, you know." Jamie added later in a softer voice, "So come on. Just... please."

"How are we going to get this kid to believe again if... if he can't see us?" I asked Jack, who frowned thoughtfully as he began to think. I looked back at the window and then saw the hopeful light in Jamie's eyes dim.

"I knew it." Jamie whispered, defeated. He threw his stuffed bunny down onto the ground and then curled up into a ball on his bed. "I'm so stupid."

"I have an idea!" Jack said and then he touched his staff to the window. He started to draw a picture of a delicate looking bunny and Jamie's head turned towards the window. I gasped as Jack frosted over another window and started drawing an Easter egg with intricate designs. I hovered over a window pane and Jack covered it in frost, grinning at me. "All yours, Kia."

"Thank you." I said before I slid my finger over the cold frost, feeling the hard glass beneath. I drew a rounded out egg and then a bunny next to it. Jack laughed when I floated back, examining my work.

"It looks perfect." Jack said before he closed his eyes, pressing his hands together as his head tilted towards the image. The bunny then turned into a 3D form, floating around the room. It snuck itself under Jamie's chin, nuzzled him, and then hopped around the room. I smiled as Jamie gasped in wonder and then laughed.

"He looks so happy." I murmured.

"This is how all the children in the world should look." Jack said, leaning against his staff as he crept his way into the room with me right behind him. He stood in front of Jamie and smiled bittersweetly. "Happy belated Easter to ya, kid."