Chapter Eighteen: We're Gonna Have Some Fun Instead

Air fluttered inside my lungs nervously as I awaited the Guardians to descend in front of us. But instead of descending right in front of us, North let out a bellow of shock as the sleigh turned a sharp left and then crashed into a mailbox. The reindeers writhed against their reins before they broke free and then bounded away.

"Ah! Moi Deti! Come back!" North calls desperately as he sways out of his sleigh, obviously a little... shaken. I lifted an eyebrow and crossed my arms as North turned to face us, his expression tired.

"Nice to see you too." I commented dryly and Jack nudged me in the side. Beside us, Jamie's eyes were wide as he looked on, his hands pressed to the side of his head in shock. North shook his head and Toothiana poked her head out from inside the sleigh, rubbing her forehead.

"North, are you okay?" She called as she walked out of the sleigh instead of flitting everywhere. Wow. Everyone is really affected by this. I thought, all the bitterness inside me fading away when I saw how weak Toothiana and North already looked. All that was left to see... was Bunny. I don't know if I could face the Easter Guardian after what he said to Jack and I, but I had to face him. He was one of the Guardians. He was one of my friends. And we had to help him, too, even though he wasn't my favorite.

"Is official. My powers are kaput." North spread his hands like something was evaporating.

Toothiana reached forward and helped North steady himself, letting go when North managed to prop himself up with his swords. Jamie gasped, "Whoa! Santa has a sword! Epic!"

"Yeah. It's pretty cool." I smirked.

"Look!" Tooth gasps with a smile as her gaze turned to Jack and I. "It's-" She attempted to fly, but then fell to the ground before getting up and walking towards us with a sigh. "-Jack and Kiara."

"Are you okay?" Jack asked Toothiana softly as she shook her head. Toothiana's gaze then turned to me and I felt betrayal zip in my blood, making it spike with heat. I wanted to turn away. I had trusted Toothiana and she had kicked me out. I looked up to her and when the decision came, she didn't even say anything. But it's not her fault.

"Kiara." She stepped forward and out of instinct, I took a step back. Toothiana stepped back again, folding her hands as her wings weakly made a buzzing sound. "I'm sorry..."

"We don't have to talk about this right now." I said firmly, in reality not wanting to talk about it at all. "Right now, we should focus on your guys' well-being. How is... everything?"

Toothiana looked a little saddened by my refusal to address what happened, but she answered my question. "We've... had to adapt to a more... harsher situation."

"I can see that." I looked over at the sleigh, my eyebrow slightly quirked upwards, "The reindeer are gone."

"They'll come back." North said firmly, even though I could hear a ring of hesitance in his voice. "What are you two doing here?" North hobbled towards us on his sword, looking frail. Toothiana hovered behind him as he walked, ready to catch him if she needed to.

"Same as you." Jack said, stepping to the side and revealing Jamie.

"The last light." North gasped, stepping forward with a smile.

"Wow... it is you. I mean, it is you!" Jamie took North's hand when he offered it to him. He turned towards me and exclaimed, "I knew it wasn't a dream! They're all real!"

"Yep. That's what we told you, kid." Jack smirked.

Toothiana gasps and for a second, I thought she had been injured. But then, I realized that she was looking between us and Jamie. Oh. We haven't told her yet. I remembered.