• CHAPTER 22 •

RAVEN'S POV

We're sitting on the couch.

I fidget with my hands as I think about how to word this out.

I've been hurt so many times in my life that I've gotten used to it.

But this pain-the pain of losing the man I love-has been the hardest one.

I look at him for a moment.

"14 years ago..." I pause; my vision is now blurred.

"14 years ago, I got a message, a message from a video in which both me and Aurora appeared." I looked down for a moment.

"I knew that whoever sent me that video had bad intentions... I unenrolled Aurora out of school and moved us up north to a cabin that was heavily guarded by some of my men. I was sure I was going to be protected, until I found out one of my guards was dirty," I tell him, feeling my nerves go crazy again.

"I knew it wasn't safe for Aurora to be with me, so that's when I decided to send her to you with my aunt. I knew something way out of my control was going to happen, so I told my aunt to leave her with you. But before Aurora got to you, I was kidnapped. Some men grabbed me on the way home and killed a girl who looked a lot like me and covered her with my blood. It was a strategic hit," I say. He stares at me, nervousness now evident by the way he tugs on his jacket.

"They sent my aunt a picture of my 'fake' dead body, and she sent you guys the message about my death." I say, "I didn't leave because I wanted to... I was forced, I was tortured, I was raped, I was burned, I was cut, cut so deep I almost bled out," I tell him, and he looks at me horrified.

His eyes became glossy. "There were days in which I wish I was actually dead, days I wanted to give up so badly, but I couldn't." I wipe my tears away.

"I couldn't because the people who did that to me were going to do worse to you, our kids, and the whole family; I couldn't let that happen," I say. "They are monsters," I whisper.

"Who are they?" he asks. I swallow the lump in my throat. "Vlad and Leila," I say, his eyes now becoming dark and uncertain.

"No, don't lie to me, Raven! Don't do this to me!" He says, Standing. "Me? do this to you?" I yell, "God, Jackson, you're too blinded; sometimes family does things to family out of spite, hate, and jealousy!" I yell, angry because he doesn't believe me.

"I don't believe you," he says, grabbing his jacket.

I unzip my dress and turn around. I hate this, I hate my body, and I hate my scars, but these scars are the evidence.

These scars have their names written on them. If he doesn't want to believe my words, then he'll have to see their writings on my body to see their true identity.

Monsters.

"Look at my body, Jackson; tell me what you see," I tell him. I hear him take slow, dragging steps.

"Oh, god," he whispers, touching my shoulder so lightly.

"I have to live the rest of my life with their names carved on my back; so would you please fucking believe me when I say they aren't your family; they are monsters?" I tell him, hugging myself.

"They have made me feel disgust over myself," I say as I turn around and look at him.

He falls to his knees and sobs. "How could they?" he sobs. "They were supposed to be family," he sobs. "Look at what they did to you, oh god," he sobs, holding his face in his hands.

I kneel down in front of him, and I pull him close against my body. "I'm sorry, baby, I didn't know," he says, shaking his head. "They were right there, and I didn't see what they were doing to you." He harshly stands up and runs to the bathroom.

I hear him puke, and I sob. "They disgust me," he sighs, falling back against the shower doors.

I cover myself up and go to him. "D-do I disgust you?" I ask, fearing his answer.

He looks at me, and only care and worry reflect from them.

He gets up and walks towards me. Shaking his head, he cups my face and kisses me. "No, you will never disgust me; I will always love you, with or without scars." He says, "These scars are a reminder of how strong and powerful you are, ok, baby? Don't you ever doubt that?" He tells me, kissing my head and pulling me into an embrace.

I allow myself to sob in his arms, as all I wished for when I was locked up was to be in his arms again and feel protected the way I do now.

"I'm going to kill them," he says, patting down my hair. I closed my eyes for a moment.

"I love you," he whispers. I smile against his chest. "I love you too," I respond, holding onto him tighter.

 "I love you too," I respond, holding onto him tighter