Chapter Eight - Safety In Numbers

Chapter Eight: Safety in Numbers

The safe house was a cage. It wasn't a romantic resort down in Mexico, or a honeymoon suite on a cruise ship; it was a plain bunker, hidden underground in the middle of absolutely nowhere. When Jake pulled up to the unmarked door and parked the car in the secret garage, I almost thought he was joking. But, no, this was it; this was how we were going to spend our first night as a married couple.

"It's really not that bad, Ness," Jake said. He was buzzing about the kitchen making a sandwich while I sat on the sofa flipping through one of the magazines Aunt Rose had shoved in my carry-on. "Besides, we'll get a real honeymoon... eventually."

I kept my mouth shut and silently glared daggers at the back of his head.

He came back into the little living area and flopped down next to me, a plate of food on his lap. I noticed a chocolate brownie put carefully to one side and rose an eyebrow.

"They stocked it with my favorites," I said, no question in my voice. They'd all known about this for awhile if they'd gotten someone to load the fridge up with the few human food items that I ate.

"And mine," he added, offering the brownie. "There's blood in there, too, and none of the animal stuff."

I took it and nibbled slowly. "Human blood? We must be staying here for awhile."

Jake shook his head, tucking into an overly stacked sandwich. "More like there's nothing to hunt out here, and the blood bags keep longer."

I frowned as the realization hit me. We were in the middle of a field, surrounded only by a couple mountains; no forests or filling wildlife to survive off of. How the hell were we supposed to live here?

I touched Jake's temple, playing back my thoughts for him to see. He paused in his eating to focus on my mental pictures.

"Stop fussing," he said and bent down to place a warm kiss on my forehead. "They've got it figured out. We'll both be fine."

"I just don't want anyone to get hurt," I said, resting my head on his shoulder and finishing my brownie. It felt odd in my stomach after being used to blood for so long, but I ignored it and looked up to meet Jake's gaze.

"No one will. I promise," he whispered. I closed my eyes as his lips pressed to my temple, and I curled closer to his warm chest. If we were going to die here, at least we'd both be comfortable.

The hours ticked by slower than on the plane ride. We had a TV, but no stations to flip through. All it could play were the racks of DVD's piled up in a case under the coffee table. We had a CD player, and of course the kitchen, but even those were of little comfort. Neither of us were in the mood for what even the tiniest of bedrooms suggested, so that was out, too. We basically sat in silence for three hours, waiting impatiently for the arrival of our security team.

I fell asleep somewhere around when the clock on the wall chimed midnight, though I didn't think Jacob had even thought about resting, no matter how much we cuddled on the couch. I was woken up by the sound of another car pulling into the driveway, hushed voices flittering against my ears as soundless feet made their way through the maze that was our safe house.

"Ness. Nessie," Jake prodded, kissing my cheek to try and wake me up.

I snuggled closer and kept my eyes closed.

"I know you're awake," he said teasingly, and I could hear the weak smile in his voice. "C'mon, they're here."

"They can wait," I mumbled, reaching up to place a sweet kiss to his lips.