Chapter Sixteen - Harmless

Chapter Sixteen: Harmless

I can't remember who lunged for me first: Aunt Alice or Uncle Jasper. They both flashed full speed the moment they saw me, but the wall of fur was too much for them. They were instantly shoved back by the wolves, both sides baring their fangs as my relatives returned to their positions near the couch.

"She is protected under pack laws," Benny spit, taking a step forward out of the group.

"She's also a vampire, and our niece," Jasper replied quietly, always the picture of calm. I quickly glanced around the room, noticing the fight draining out of my valiant protectors.

He was using his powers to prevent a brawl.

I glowered at him and my aunt, relaxing back into Jake, whose arms were wrapped protectively around me. Aunt Alice was glaring at him, her eyes never wavering from us surrounded by the wolves.

"She is coming with us. Her parents and the rest of his pack will be arriving within the hour," Aunt Alice quipped, smiling in satisfaction at the look of horror on Jake and I's faces.

I glanced at Hannah, who was furiously whispering with the old woman and David. Their eyes kept darting to us and I knew what they were doing; forming a plan while the others were busy bickering. She met my gaze and tilted her head back towards the medical room.

I touched Jake's temple, replaying the scene back to him. He nodded and, very subtly, shifted so that I was behind him.

We sprinted for the curtains with the rest of our escape squad.

I heard Jasper and Aunt Alice protesting loudly, and a loud growl told me they'd tried to follow after us and had finally caused the wolves to phase, but we were already in the safety of the other room and Hannah was quickly assembling a bag for us.

"Here," she whispered, two duffels in her hands. Jake took them, slinging them over his shoulder with only a slight wince of pain. "Your car keys are in the front pocket, Jacob. And I booked you two plane tickets the moment I heard. They're waiting for you at the airport--"

"We have to drive. No airports," I said, shaking my head. "Thank you, though. Thank you for everything."

Her smile faltered, but, nonetheless, we embraced in a tight hug.

"Be safe," she said. "And we'll contact you when this place clears out again."

Jake hugged her as well but shook his head. "You've done plenty for us, Hannah. Say goodbye to Bess for me."

"Of course," she said. "We'll miss you. Both of you."

I gave her a genuine smile that she returned before ushering both of us towards a window.

"This way," she said, "The car is parked up the hill."

I frowned at the words she wasn't saying. Up the hill so they won't hear.

"They're harmless, you know," I replied, glancing over my shoulder as I went towards the window.

"None of you are harmless, Renesmee," she said with a smirk.

Jake followed me out and Hannah quietly shut the window behind us, closing the curtains on the way.

We ran. Jake stayed in his human form, but he still managed to keep up with me, and we made it to the car in moments. He threw our bags in the back, grabbing the keys and climbing into the driver's seat. I rushed to the passenger door, looking over my shoulder at yet another home we had destroyed.

"Renesmee, let's go!" Jake barked, the engine revving under his capable hands. I got inside and locked the door.

I didn't even have my seat-belt on before he slammed the gas.

He drove expertly through back roads that seemed completely foreign to me, but I didn't question our destination. Anywhere far away from here was perfectly okay with me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, reaching across to lace my hand with his.

"I will always be here to protect you, Renesmee," he replied and brought the back of my hand to his lips. "You never need to apologize for that."

But would protecting me cost him his life?