10. stolen hearts

Of course things get worse when you're sure it's the end.

    The last thing Lizzie remembers is the children pointing to a man behind her and Kate, and then he hits them both in the head. Then she wakes up from being unconscious for a few minutes. She's taped to a chair in a room. "Seriously? They gotta do more if they want to stop me."

    She frees her hands without difficulty and gets up. But she has no weapons or phone. Damn it. Nothing she could use against her enemy. She worries about the kids and Kate. Where are they? This place isn't the mansion, it's different.

     Someone comes in, but she attacks the man and knocks him unconscious. That was easy. She blows a strand of her hair off her face and steals his weapon. But she has no phone and is in an unknown location. She leaves the room, there's only one way to let her partners know where she is. She still communicates with the Morse code when there's emergency. This is an emergency.

   When Bucky responds to her Morse signals, she smiles in relief and goes to find Kate.

     Kate is still unconscious, but thankfully they got taken to the same place. She just doesn't possess same strength as Lizzie and that's why it takes longer for her to wake up. "Kate? Hey, I'm here. It's over. The kids are safe, and my... friends took them all home. I'm going to take you home."

    Kate groans softly, starting to wake up, but not quite yet. So Lizzie goes for more drastic measures. She's worried about Kate, but keeps that in check. "Rise and shine, princess."

     Nothing.

   "Yo, Artemis!" she pushes her off the chair. But Kate's reaction to the name would make her fall the same way. – "AHH!"

    Lizzie gets up and smiles with success, but Kate glares and rests on the floor. "Thank you."

    "You don't sound so grateful. Not that I want you to mean it or something." Lizzie crosses her arms and smirks. But she offers Kate a hand to get up. Kate considers and takes it. – "Thanks, I mean it. I just hate when you call me Artemis! How many times have I told you not to call me that?!"

    "I don't know.. like twenty seven, maybe. But we were young, so I could be wrong."

    Kate groans angrily and passes her by. "Okay. We need to find those little ones. I really don't want to hear about another dead–"

    "They're all alright. I told you the news, but you were unconscious. I called Bucky, he's coming to get us." Lizzie nods. Kate blinks in surprise. – "So... we have to wait?"

    "Yeah, probably. He likes to be late a lot."

   Kate decides to sit down against the wall. Lizzie frowns and wonders what's on her mind. "What if I don't get out? Who takes care of Lucky? I obviously can't trust Clint with that dog, also my apartment... and the team. I'm so hungry... this is killing me."

     Kate hides her face in the hands, overwhelmed. So it's the dog and pizza on her mind, mostly. Lizzie kinda feels bad for her and knows that Kate is too hard on herself with taking everything on her shoulders.

    Lizzie sits next to her and leans her head against the wall. "But I wonder what you're going to say about the sun out there. I mean, there's a reason I love vacation on my island. You should go there and see the beach for once in your lifetime."

    "I know what a beach feels like." Kate responds calmly. But Lizzie's look gives her a moment to rethink that. "But I guess it's not even slightly similar. Well, then, I'd like to see it as long as you are the tour guide. Maybe in bikini, maybe." she chuckles, getting in better mood.