Chapter 1- Decisions

The music made the ground rumble underfoot, while several different melodies sounded at the same time, mixed, but composed of that characteristic and repetitive tapping that predominated in most modern music.

Farther or closer, each and every one of them invited you to let yourself go, to move your body to their tune, wrapped in a perfect balance of laughter in the background, of irrelevant conversations that came out of their mouths with impetus due to the invasion of noise coming from the speakers; of lyrics, the meaning of which was not necessarily important to those who sang it, and which everyone sang at the top of their lungs. The sound of the glasses with their ice, the bottles of alcohol colliding, and which they kept in the same bags in which they were brought, they filled each plastic glass with the chosen measure of alcohol and soft drink to reduce it to taste, and whose money of the person in charge of the purchase and to whom the others had to return, perhaps he would never see a single cent coming from them.

After several hours, the smells had begun to completely invade him. Not only was the strong aroma of alcohol so characteristic, but also of one's own sweat, and that of others, which passed from one skin to another due to friction; And that of the environment itself, loaded with faint tints of gasoline from some cars in the parking lot where they were. Suddenly, a soft puff of smoky air filled their nostrils, coming from some who were smoking while they filled themselves with alcohol until they lost consciousness and danced, barely holding on.

Without a doubt, he could assure that it was not tobacco.

The lights of the cars, the drinks he had had, the music and all those smells that surrounded him began to make him dizzy. He wasn't used to drinking, he knew it very well, so, in a few seconds of lucidity, he realized that enough was enough. He absolutely needed a break, to clear his head, to get out of that environment for a few moments. He needed to get away from all that jumble of people, sit down for a moment and, above all, take a good breath of fresh air.

In his twenty years old, and since the day he tried alcohol for the first time at thirteen, when they were celebrating a friend's birthday, in which they had the brilliant and enigmatic idea of sneaking into a park, climbing to the top of this, and drink while listening to music until having to flee to get out of there without being caught by the police; He had never drank as much alcohol as he did that first time and how he was doing it now.

The memory of it made his smile nostalgically. "How idiot we had," he thought. That night not only were they about to get into a big mess, but they also left all the remains of what they had taken scattered there, leaving a surprise for the street sweepers who, in the morning, would go to clean the place.

He knew that it was best to never get drunk to that point, as he had done on that occasion and as he was doing again, because he was afraid of the stupid things he might think of doing after witnessing the stupid things his friends—and not friends—had done on other exits. However, and even knowing it, that night he had drank everything that was in the bags that his fiend, Raúl, had been in charge of carrying along with a couple more bags full of ice and soft drinks. And not only his own, but also those of others who, in their drunken state, had not noticed the constant dawn in their own bottles.

He couldn't deny it, because that's how it was, he had been putting his hand in someone else's bag all night to fill his own glass. Did he know that was wrong? Of course. But she also knew that surely, she would forget everything the next day, both what he had done and who he had done.

After taking a breath of air, he dropped his glass on the floor, where he could, among the many feet, glasses and drinks of his friends and people that he did not remember when he had gotten into his circle. He looked as quickly as he could for María and Raúl, let them know that he would be gone for a while, and left there as fast as the coordination between his brain and his legs would allow him. In a few moments, somehow, he managed to make his way through the crowd while he forcefully lifted his feet to take them off the ground. He could feel that unpleasant sound that his shoe made when it came off that layer of concoction from a thousand types of drinks when serving them or when people collided with each other.