Friends?

(After a year or so)

"Hey" i said, looking at his face patiently.

"Hello...?" Nathan greeted unsurely. He didn't know what to expect since Ella never tried talking to him and all the fights they've had were more physical. But hey, it's not Nathan''s personality to ignore someone, especially someone as important as Ella. He had an air of confidence and arrogance that made him act before thinking, so when Ella called his name, he turned around with a cocky half-smile. He raised an eyebrow, seemingly confused as he spoke, "Can I help you?"

I was shocked and i panicked saying" no no never mind".

"Well now you got me interested, what do you need?" He replied with a confused and curious stare, the air of cockiness still clinging to him. It seems he wants to help after all, but it's hard to imagine since Ella and him weren't exactly on friendly terms. He raised both eyebrows and tilted his head, seemingly curious about Ella's request.

"Nothing" I said

He seemed quite confused by Ella's response. After a few seconds, he frowned but he tried not show the annoyance, he was trying to act mature and reasonable now, "Do you... want anything from me?"
After a while, his confusion turned into curiosity. Nathan crossed his arms and spoke again, "You don't have to be vague about it, please just tell me what you want." His brows were still furrowed and his expression was serious, but his tone sounded a bit... gentle.

"Nothing I'm sorry" I said.

The more they spoke, the more confused Childe gets. Why does Ella wants to talk to him if she wasn't going to say anything? Or maybe she's just testing his patience, he couldn't know for sure.
"Alright, if you don't need anything from me then I'll be going back to my training." He said and turned around, he couldn't wait any longer if Ella had no intentions in saying anything.

I stammered"wait... wait"

Before Nathan went back to his training, something caught his attention. He turned back around, slowly walked towards Ella and stared at her.
"Excuse me, did you just stutter?" He asked, his expression now filled with curiosity.

"No no I didn't" I said.

Nathan didn't know if Ella was just messing with him, because he could've sworn her voice was so shakey. Either she really just stuttered or she was lying, the latter seemed more believable. But he can't just accuse Ella, after all this is the first conversation he had with her. He just nodded, "Well, whatever you say."
His expression suddenly changed, his face turned bright red "H-Hey, Ella... Can I, uh... ask you something?"

"Yes yeah Nathan sure" i said

She seemed nervous, not making eye contact and breathing heavily. It was surprising to hear her answer, Nathan immediately perked up and took a step closer. His expression was filled with excitement, like a kid who just got offered free candy.
"Can I... ask it now?" He asked again, sounding nervous the same way as her for some reason. As if the mere thought of asking Ellaa a question gave him butterflies in his stomach.
He waited for Ella's response, feeling like he's holding his breath.

Yes I said patiently.

He sighed in relief and looked at Ella. His face was still red, but he was finally able to ask his question. "So, uh, Ella, can I... can I be your friend?" He looked awkward as soon as he said it. He was really just desperate at this point. He wasn't thinking about the consequences of asking to be friends with Ella. But he was determined to make it a reality and no one was going to tell him otherwise.

"what?_ why?" I said nervously.

Nathan's face turned even more red at Ella's reaction. He honestly expected a cold response, but the way Ella seemed confused and nervous... and possibly annoyed, made Nathan's confidence shattered.
His voice went quiet, "I-I'm sorry, forget what I just said. It wa-"
"No!" I suddenly interrupted him, Nathan looked at her with a puzzled expression. Her expression looked so serious, like she really mean it.
"I accept, we can be friends." I said, her voice sounded calm.