Chapter 23- --- Let Fate Take Its Course

It's been two weeks since the unfortunate pandemonium. Getting highly drunk wasn't helping as I've started missing Kiitan so much. I'd kept on thinking about him, allowing old memories rush back in. Why wasn't he replying my texts still? And my numerous calls? Has he changed his mind? Was he seeing someone else already?. He just didn't seem like the one to just go awol with a word. I couldn't stop myself from doing so much thinking.

And as for Fopefolu, I've been battling the hate that I felt for him. Why was he still reaching out to me? He texted me every day since the God forsaken event. Not once have I responded. Yet he would budge. He can't eat his cake an have it.

"You should have just stayed away from him, from the very get go. Folu reeked of trouble, and I knew it. I knew I was going to get hurt again."

I kept playing the whole scene in my head over and again. I want to screamed and shout. Why was I torturing my self so much? I never thought I'd be in such a dilemma.

Drowning myself in work as not been helping either. I need to know what he was thinking. Is it really over for us or was he still processing? These and more were questions fighting for an answer in my little head.

I had no other choice that to try harder at distracting myself. I had a pending job that was soon due. I decided to finish the job and stop moping and sulking.

I headed for my work station where I have an unfinished illustration waiting to be finished. I took a seat in front of it and started working.

About a hour later, I was already half way into interpreting my idea on paper. Engrossed in the work, I saw my phone screen lit up; I'd silenced it. A message popped up on the screen. I couldn't see the content of the message. So I didn't bother checking it. Minutes later, my phone screen lit up again. I gazed at it but continued with what I was doing I saw it was from the same sender. Immediately another message came in.

I placed my pen down on the desk where I worked before picking up my phone and unlocking it. It was a message from the devil's incarnate. I was harsh with my thoughts but I just didn't care.

Fopefolu Smith: Please Tejumade let's just talk
and figure this things out.
You are making a rash decision.

I glared at the content of the text. Was he being for real? I locked my phone before placing it back down.

"I would just ignore. I would not repeat my mistake." I reaffirmed myself.

I resumed back to work, but I was failing to concentrate. A little diversion and I've lost focus. I was really losing it.

I thought I'd take a quick nap. I grabbed my phone and headed for my room. I pumped into the bed.
I dropped my phone on my chest and I held it in place, I stared at the wall in thought.

I raised the phone to my face, stared at the screen. I unlocked my phone, his message box was pinned so I didn't have to search.

"Should I just text him again?"

"What else can I say to get him to respond?"

I dropped the phone on my chest.

"I should not text him again." I tried convincing myself.

"I think I should just text him and apologize again."

"Maybe a call?"

"Everything was going great."

Arrrrrgh!

I wouldn't want to come off as desperate or pathetic. I grabbed the phone again, unlock the screen, then hesitated. I will just just him the very last time and I'm done. I guess this is where our love story ends.

Adekiitan Crawford: I promise I this will be my last message. I'm so sorry for how things turned out
between us. I wanted my closure with Folu,
that's his name, and I had it. That kiss meant nothing to me. I was really hoping we could
make great memories together.
But I guess this is it. I'm sorry.

I hit the send button and bit on my nails holding my breath as I hoped for a response for few minutes. There was none as always.

There goes my chance at love.

I got up from my bed. There was absolutely no was I was getting a nap after that. I roamed the apartment in search of a distraction. I found one in the kitchen, the dishes.

I got to the sink where the dishes were piled. Took them one at a time out of the sink. I got soap, water and sponge ready as I started to do the dishes.

Shortly after I had drifted into thought, the loud ring from my phone jerked me out of it. I picked up my phone, swiped left on the screen to answer the call.

"Hey babe." A female voice greeted me.

I hissed "Oh! It you, beth"

"Yeah it me, who else could it be." She huffed.

"I'm sorry I didn't check the caller ID." I explained.

"I figured. Are you not home?" She asked.

"I am. Why do you ask? What's up?" I prodded.

"You were probably in a trance again. Can you please go to the door, open it, and let me in! I'm at the freaking door." She shouted with a hissed.

"What?!" I exclaimed as I dashed out of the kitchen to get the door. "You're at the door? You didn't knock?"

"Of course I didn't the was no answer. Reason I called." She stated.

I got to the door, opened it to let in a fuming Beth. I greeted her with a cheesy grin.

"How are you?" I asked penitently.

"I'm good." She replied hoarsely.

"Good to know." I feigned ignorant of her tone. "And how's work?"

"Work was great, Mr Edward wasn't much of an ass today." She said as she took a seat.

"You're too good for that company. I keep telling you." I said as I strut back into the kitchen.

"What were you doing?" She asked.

"Errrmm, I was just doing the dishes." I answered, arranging the dishes in the dish-rack.

"What did you do all day aside thinking about Kiitan." She teased.

"I didn't think about him." I denied.

"Lie all you want. We both know you did." She prodded.

"Oh well! What was I to do when he won't talk to me." I shrugged.

"Don't give yourself a hard time over it." She advised calmly.

"Worst part, he won't even give me commissions anymore. He was one of my biggest clients you know. Now I can't get him and can't get jobs either. I've lost both ways." I whined.

"You're a great artist. You'd get more commissions. Bigger ones. Trust me." She encouraged.

"And this exactly was the reason I didn't want to mix pleasure with work." I reminded her, "Anyway, I wouldn't be in contact with him anymore. I left him a final message."

I heard Beth thrust swiftly to the kitchen.

"You're joking!" I could sense the hint of relief in her tone.

"No I'm not." I reaffirmed. "I am done sulking. I'll let fate take its course."

"About time babe!" She muttered. "I just wanted you to make the decision yourself and not force you into it."

I felt her warm body smash into mine from behind. "Awwwn, you know I'll support everything decisions you make. Even the dumbest ones."

We both chuckled at the statement. I didn't know when a tear rolled down my cheek. Thank goodness she couldn't see my face. I sniffed back the tears that threaten behind my eyes.