Chapter 25- --- Owambe

I elegantly walked into the event hall where the wedding reception for Lade and Ebun was holding, one heel behind the other. We had booked out the event hall for the special occasion.

I was wearing the aṣọ ebi (theme fabric) my mothered had picked out particularly for her side of the family.

Which was to say there was a myriad of fabrics in different designs and colors. Ranging from Ankara to lace materials.

My onion color lace fabric was perfectly coutured to cup my figure. It was a knee length peplum dress. I had my gele (headgear) tied in a trendy Minnie mouse way.

I was holding a cream clutch with sliver studdls and pearls, matched with a sliver pointed toe strap heels.

My makeup was nude and classy. I adorned my ears with a statement earrings.

Beth, Shiju, Peter and Mike were right behind me. The pack were all present.

"Your invitation, ma'am." One of the two hefty bouncers who manned the door asked.

I opened my clutch to fetch out the invitation. Handed it to him, so did Beth and the guys.

"You can go in. Have a wonderful day." He said as he handed back out invitations.

I smiled making my way into the hall.

I had to admit, my family had taste. Owambe was a large grandiose party thrown by the Yoruba tribe of Nigerians. It involved a lot of food, dancing, loud music and spraying money.

The caterers, their ushers and servers were on one side of the hall. One for the bride's and one for the groom's. One of the star attractions of Owanbe parties was the variety in the food served.

Reservations had been made for different delicacies, ranging from Jollof rice, moin-moin, porridge, Amala etc. This doesn't include the foods my aunties and uncles came with individually.

The wedding stage meant the couple seating, was night sky themed. A solid white furniture piece was mounted on a white stage floor.

Bundles of white flowers and dark green foliage provided an anchoring force. Above the wedding couple seat, plenty of small glass lanterns created a firefly effect that was complemented by a soft blue lighting that reflected off all of the white structures that composed the stage frame.

And elegant chandelier with traditional glass and lights hung at the center of the hall.

We made our way to the table reserved for my friends and I. Settling in.

Owanbes come with highly expensive celebration materials, bags, trinkets, shoes to match etc. And there was a chaotic clash of those.

I searched the hall of vaguely familiar faces for my Parents or my brother Moleye.

Unsurprisingly I spotted my parents near the couple's stage. My mother was going round greeting her guest.

She noticed me. I waved at her. Then I spotted my nephew and niece behind her. They momentarily noticed and rushed towards me excitedly my mother followed slowly.

I opened my arms to receive my them in an embrace.

"Hello aunty Teju." They said in unison

"Hi guys." I greeted. I gesture to Beth and the guys "These are my friends, and you know Beth. Greet them."

"Hello." They both waved. "Good afternoon."

My mother finally joined us. "Thank you all for coming, God bless you.."

"You're welcome, ma. Congratulations." Beth and the guys greeted.

My mother turned her attention to me. "Are you just coming in? Where are the newly weds. Everything is waiting. I hope they know there's no time."

"They will be here mummy, relax." I told her.

"Should they bring you anything? Drinks?" My mother asked when she noticed our table was void.

"Ha! Yes ma." Shiju answered gingerly.

The major components of a successful Owanbe party was different varieties of food and lots of alcohol. And Shiju was here for just that.

My mother left with my nephew and niece to request the drinks.

The latest hit musics were playing from the speakers. What was an owambe without juju and fuji music genre for the rich aunties

Speaking of aunties. One of my mother's sisters, Aunty Beatrice spotted me from a little distance away. She summoned me over.

"Please excuse guys." I said as I left our table. Threading my way through the hall to my aunty.

"Aunty Bee!" I gushed. Bending over to give her a hug. "I didn't see you at the church."

"I just got here. Traffic was chaotic." She stated, hissing, "How are you coping sweetheart?"

Confusion flitted across my face. Coping?

She added before I could grasp what she meant. "You'll be fine honey. You just need to learn how to hold down a man."

No shade! Did she really call me over to throw shades at me?

I was flabbergasted. She was one to talk.

The way news spread among my mother and her siblings was faster than wild fire.

I'd just told this woman about this subject just this morning.

Maybe when you learn to hold down a man yourself, Aunty. Maybe then I'll take your advice.

I feigned a smile.

Aunty Beatrice was on her third husband. Who was she to give lessons on how to hold down a man

The event was in full spin. The couple and their best lady and man arrived. The couple were then called in gracing the guests with their presence.

Some would say owanbe was synonymous to the gregarious and eccentric nature of the Yoruba people. Which was true.

Guests were eating, drinking, dancing and making merry.

Amidst the crowd was Folu who wouldn't stop staring at me intensely. What was the odds that his table was adjacent mine.

I've successful avoided him all through the ceremony. At church, and during the engagement ceremony.

I have been so calculated that our paths had no reason to cross.

Until now.

"Folu wouldn't stop staring at you. Are you even clothed right now? He has probably stripped you naked with all that stare." Beth whispered in my ear. She had also noticed how Folu couldn't take is gaze off me.

"I've been avoiding him all day. I wonder who was it that made this sitting arrangement." I wished back into her ear.

We could hardly hear ourselves over the loud music.

I downed my drink in one go and poured myself another.

"Pump your brakes, girl. Low down on the alcohol." Beth advised.

I wasn't sure if the guys were aware of what was going on. They only stuffed food in their mouth.

Soon I rose from my seat abruptly I whirled through the pool of friends and relatives handing out party souvenirs.

I saw through the corner of my eyes that Folu had synchronously rose from his seat, following behind me.

As if on cue I heard Tiwalade called for Folu over the speaker.

I wasn't surprised he had to use a microphone. There was music blasting from the speakers. Plus, the distance between our tables and the couple's stage. If he had called without it, I doubt if Folu would have heard.

He remotely turned his head between me and Lade, contemplating. He gave in, heading towards Tiwalade.

A breath of relief escaped my nostrils as I strutted out of the hall.