Chapter 17: The Blunt Session

⚠️ GENERAL CW ADVISORY. PLEASE READ A/N FOR SPECIFIC CW ⚠️

------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the next day and you're working a late day recording session with the indie rock band Soul Halos. Today, you're shadowing Colt who's the senior producer for your label's rock acts. You've managed to take over in mixing duties, playing with volumes until you've found the ones that fit the sound the band is going for the best. 

You look at Colt, after you finish, "Well, what do you think?"

"Well, what do you think Rose? This is your work."

You smile at him, knowing he's not going to answer for you. "I think it sounds great, Liam's bass and Trevor's guitar are working in sync much better with the bass levels lowered."

"I couldn't agree more. You've come a long way, be proud of yourself and don't ask for validation."

"Really?" you ask beaming.

Colt and you pause and then laugh at your constant need to validate. "I know so, you'll be producing by yourself in no time! I'm ready to give any recommendation you need!"

You two share a smile and turn to watch the band play. "Thanks Colt, that means so much coming from you."

A few hours later, you get a text message from Eren, letting you know people are still coming over for the smoke session and can you pick up some munchies. You stare at the clock, it's almost seven o'clock. The band has stopped playing cause the bassist is insisting he wants a smoke break.

"Looks like this is going to be going late for us tonight," Colt mumbles to you as he stretches.

You nod your head miserably; you've already been working since 8:30 and you're honestly not up for being at the office any longer. Not today.

"Actually Colt, I'm sorry to do this but I have to go home. I've been working all day, and I just don't think I can keep my eyes open for that much longer. Would you mind terribly if I head home?"

Colt nods at what you say. "Sure, go ahead. I can see about bringing you in for another session later this week, maybe something a little earlier in the day as long as you're free..."

You nod as you get up to put your paperwork in your file folder. "Yeah, I would like that. Hopefully Tengen gives me some free time to come downstairs."

"Yeah hopefully," Colt laughs. "Have a good night Rose."

"Same to you," you call as you head out the door.

You head down the elevator to Parking Level 2 where your car is situated. You get behind your wheel and wind through the parking levels to you get to the ground floor and pull out onto the dwindling traffic of Shiganshina's Financial District. You head in the direction of home, thumping along blissfully to Fantasy by Mariah Carey on 106 BALL1N's 90s Hour.

♫ Oh when you walk by every night,

Talking sweet and looking fine,

I get kinda hectic inside.

Mmm baby, I'm so into you,

Darling if you only knew,

All the things that flow through my mind. 

You sing along loudly to the music, grinning from ear to ear. As you pull up to the convenience store near your home, your phone begins buzzing. It's Sasha and she's facetiming you for some reason. You raise your eyebrow as you answer the call.