Chapter 03: Her Purple Bikini

Ohh baby, do you know what that's worth?

Ohhh, Heaven is a place on Earth

They say in Heaven, love comes first

We'll make  Heaven is a place on Earth

"Gurl wake up!" you hear in your ear and open your eyes slowly to see the colours of the sunset above you. "Gurl, you dozed off," Rochelle laughs over her magazine as she sits on the other side of a fast-asleep Frida.

You sit up  and squint at the sun as Heaven is a Place on Earth plays over the Frida's boombox radio. 

"Mmm, how long was I out for?" you yawn as you try to process where you are.

"Not that long, like ten minutes... I wasn't gonna wake you but you went and put your 80s station on then dozed off immediately. If I knew the both of you were gonna crash, I would've stayed my ass home."

"Sorry Chelle," you sigh and sit up completely. "Ugh I just had the strangest dream..."

"Oh yeah? What about?" 

You furrow your brow, trying to remember it, any of it. 

"I don't remember..." you sigh. "Ugh isn't that so annoying? Having a dream and then two seconds later, you can't recall a thing about it?"

You sigh and slide your feet deeper into the warmth of the soft sand beneath you. Your fingers clench and unclench your beach towel as you tilt your head up and take a deep breath in. 

"Can I switch up the station? Your song's over." Rochelle asks and you nod.

"Go ahead. It's your turn anyways."

Rochelle sighs and turns the dial till she finds the beats of SOUL102.5. The loud crashes of the waves blend in with the beats playing from the speakers. She puts on Rollercoaster by Burna Boy to set the mood for your late day beach outing and you bliss out to the sounds as the sun's warmth spreads across your face.

"Pass the kettle chipsssss" Rochelle drawls out lazily, opening and closing her hand at you.

You roll your eyes as you grab the bag next to you and pass them to her. 

"You eating for two Chelle? You've already scarfed down a whole bag of pork rinds."

"Gurl, fuck you," Rochelle says as she passes you a side eye and mischievous grin. "Least I'm getting laid..."

You scoff in offence, "I get laid, thank you very much."

"Mmm yeah I'm not touching that one today..." Rochelle says, not wanting to start something.

"Yeah, please don't. Let's not bring him up today of all days," you say, side-eyeing her.

Your eyes trail back to the horizon, the blood orange sun now touching the base of the ocean. You can hear the gulls above you wailing as they dive-bomb into the water for morsels. Your radio blends with the sounds of distant music of the other beach goers. A few yards from you, a small group of young women are playing beach volleyball, laughing hysterically whenever one of them falls face first into the sand. 

You can see a group of young men nearby collecting a large pile of wood, probably for a bonfire. There's a man in a black hoodie and trunks, his back turned to you as he exchanges words with a raven-haired woman in a deep red bikini just a few meters from the volleyball game, you assume these groups are together. 

You turn back to your blanket where Rochelle has discarded the bag of chips to go on her phone. Frida is still laying down in the same position she began when she said she was going to close her eyes for a few minutes over an hour ago. You and Rochelle both exchange glances before she scoffs.