Chapter 35~ Chaos

Céline:

Almost as soon as we've passed the majority of the onlooking crowd, Marius drags me to him and puts his forehead to mine, "Do you really think you will always desire my kisses, Miss Bouchard?"

"I could hate you, Mr. Gray, and still I would desire them." His gentle smile is all that precedes the kiss that would surely take me off of my feet if he weren't holding me so close. I return it with as much abandon as I feel in my heart, knowing that whether or not I want to admit it-- I cannot imagine what life would be like absent of him.

I'm sure that we would have kept up our embrace for much longer right there in the ballroom, but there is the sound of slow clapping moving in our direction, and we break from the kiss, still holding one another.

"What a tantalizing performance," Jacques croons with a charismatic smile for the people around us.

"Jacques Mesrine," Marius turns, keeping one arm around my waist as he offers his hand as if they're old friends (I suspect that may actually be true). His voice is strong and diplomatic as he shakes Jacques' hand. "It is a lovely party, how kind of you to invite us."

I'm sure that no one else noticed that the handshake lasted slightly too long and the pressure could be seen in the discoloration of their hands and tick in their jaws...but I did.

"I am actually surprised to see you, Gray, I didn't realize you had taken up being a guard. Is staff that hard to find?" He sniffs haughtily at Marius, "When I invited Céline, I had hoped I would have a bit more of her to myself on the dance floor, but it seems that her time has been monopolized." His searing gaze rests on me and then the arm Marius still has around my waist. I suppose it would be a surprise seeing us so close considering the state I was in when he saw me last.

"Nonsense, Jacques," My voice sounds more confident than I had expected it to, "I would have no desire for such an event without Marius to escort me. I wouldn't even know what to do with myself." My practiced laugh is aimed at Marius and he smiles genuinely with his lips when I meet his eyes.

Mesrine leans in, "Mon cher, I think we both know that that is a falsehood. You were more than comfortable on that dance floor and the air you carry with you tonight reeks of experience." I swallow audibly, "My intrigue surrounding you only grows, Céline, I should very much like to know what the newspapers missed surrounding your time in Canada."

At this, I can't make eye contact with either man. Marius arm tightens around me as a comfort but when I look up to show him I'm grateful, I can see the questions swimming behind his eyes as well. There is so much. So much that my aunt and I hadn't expected to be a part of, but not all of it is for the ears of the public. The phone in my clutch begins to weigh more heavily on my mind the more I consider some of the secrets from those years.

"Now, since things are...not as they should have been," Mesrine looks disgustedly over Marius and I, "Should we try to solve this the old-fashioned way, Marius?"

"I'm in no mood for a duel." I can't believe Marius is joking right now. Can't we just be done with this? With him?

To my surprise, Jacques chuckles and slides his hands into his pockets, "I was considering something a little more civilized, but please, I am an expert with a blade-- this you know." He stares down Marius.

"Like what?" I ask when he doesn't.

"Like grown men, in an office, with two glasses and some good brandy."

I fully expect Marius to continue on as we had planned for the evening, but to my surprise he gives me a gentle squeeze and presses a kiss to my temple, before letting go and holding a hand out for Mesrine to show the way.