•Formalities•

(edited 😘)
Tw: violennceee
~~~

Ethan and I had been avoiding each other ever since that day. Gracie and Riley, my closest friends, were beyond angry at him, to say the least. They were so furious that they insisted I sleep in their room, not wanting me to even breathe the same air as Ethan.

Although it wasn't my ideal sleeping spot, I understood their concerns and appreciated their unconditional support. They stood by my side, never leaving me alone, after I had told them about what had happened in the bathroom that day.

Now, a few weeks had passed since we returned from the Airbnb, and I felt it was time for me to return to work. I couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving Miles, my coworker, to handle the workload on his own for the past two and a half weeks.

As I walked into the cafe, I immediately noticed that it was much busier than it had been on my first shift. The sound of laughter, deep conversations, and the slight hum of music filled the shop.

"Aria!" Miles yelled out to greet me, and I walked behind the counter to where he stood.

"Long time no see, huh?" he smiled at me, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Sure," I smiled back, feeling a sense of familiarity wash over me as I put on the apron.

I quickly got to work beside Miles, taking orders, brewing coffee, and serving customers. It was mainly fun, as the customers were polite and very patient with us. The fast-paced nature of the job kept me on my toes, but I enjoyed the energy of my customers.

Miles and I shared jokes and exchanged stories in between serving customers, and I found myself looking forward to those moments of connection.

As the evening approached, the cafe started to quiet down. Miles and I took a moment to catch our breath, leaning against the counter.

"You know, I'm glad you're back," he said, his voice softening.

I looked at him, a warmth spreading through my chest. "I'm glad to be back too."

And in that moment, amidst the fading sounds of the cafe, I realized that maybe this place, and the people in it, had a way of making me feel at home.

I cleaned up my area with a spray and wipe, cleaning some spilt milk from earlier.

I hurriedly made myself a coffee for the trip home, putting in extra effort for myself.

I felt slow hands wrap themselves around my waist, and for a split second, a part of me wished it was Ethan, but as reality set in, I knew it was Miles.

Unexpectedly, I felt a wet kiss on my neck, and all the warmth and comfort I had felt earlier vanished in an instant. Anger flowed through me, replacing any trace of affection.

"The fuck are you doing?" I pushed him off, my voice filled with a mix of shock and anger. How dare he think he had the right to touch me like that?

"I thought this is what you wanted?" he stammered, trying to hold my hips again, but I grabbed his hand and forcefully threw it away.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, did I tell you that?" I sarcastically yelled, my voice growing louder with each word.

The anger inside me was building, fueled by his audacity. I could sense that he was getting angry too, his face contorting with frustration.

Before I could react, his hand swung towards my face, connecting with a sharp slap. Pain found itself across my cheek, and I stumbled backward, my hand instinctively reaching to cradle the stinging sensation.