SIXTEEN

Chapter 16: Suits

Ezra Rivera

I look myself in the mirror.

It's the second time I'm in formal attire. I make sure to have my phone and wallet before leaving the house and getting in the bus.

This tie is uncomfortable, I cant believe I'm actually doing this. Standing at the entrance of Le Lierre a fancy French restaurant I debate if I should go inside and play nice like father expects me to. The restaurant isn't even in our town.

No Brookwell is too small to have such a huge restaurant like this. I tug at the blazer I have on and slide my hands into the pockets of my pants.

Why am I wearing this shit again?

Oh right, father made me.

I walk inside the huge glass doors and the host perks up with a big smile on her face. She opens her mouth to start speaking but I spot my father and Lydia in the distance laughing at something. I go straight to where they are seated.

They are sitting on a table for four that's near the windows. Lydia is saying something to father and he has a big smile on his face as he listens attentively to every word that comes from her mouth. It's unusual to see such a huge smile on his face.

It hurts to see him like that. I mean I'm his son but for five years all I've seen is cold eyes and glares, barred teeth, clenched jaw, all in all his angry expressions or blank expression. I always chalked it down to it being grief but seeing him like this hurts.

This lady who he met what a few days ago gets to see him grinning like he won the lottery or something, it's not fair. I've been nothing but an obedient son who provided money for food, paid the bills but no he doesn't share happiness with me, he shares it with her.

It really sucks but hopefully if he is this happy he should stop beating me. But that can only remain as hopeful wish.

Lydia spots me first as I reach the table and pull out the chair facing her. She smiles brightly at me looking glad to see me. Father doesn't even bother to look at me. His smile dimming a little.

That took a hit at my heart but I take my seat anyways.

"Ezra, hi how are you?" Lydia greets once I'm seated and I've opened the menu.

At the sound of my name, my father turns to look at me as if now realizing I'm here. He nods in greeting and I try to hide my scoff at his act.

"Hey, I'm fine and how are you?" I reply to Lydia and ignore my father as best as I can.

She smiles, "I'm doing great."

There's an awkward silence that lingers around us for a while. No one says a word as we all just stare off into space. Looking anywhere but at each other, Lydia still has a smile on her face and it's beginning to irritate me.

What is she so happy about?

One can't be that happy around him, right?

Atleast in their sane mind.

Ugh, I just wanna go home, lock myself in my room and blast NF  through my headsets. For once I'm not excited about having dinner with my father but then again last time we did was four years ago, before his rage.

Lydia clears her throat and we both turn to look at her expectantly, waiting for her to speak. She gives a small smile, nervousness shinning though it this time.

"So Ezra, I hear you are -

"Hello I'm Wyatt your waiter, may I take your order?" the sound of boy speaking cuts off Lydia's attempt to start a conversation.