TWENTY ONE

Chapter 21: Unexpected visitor.

Ezra Rivera

I'm finally out of the hospital.

As I exit the double doors of the hospital, the familiar city air hits me and I take a deep breath in. For the first time in a long time I feel at ease.

The hospital had never been my favorite place but it did provide me sanctuary whenever I got sent here after father went overboard. It meant a few days of peace with no fights and it was the only time he acted like a dotting father to me. I'd always feel dread once I was outside that I'd go back to that hell where I'd get beaten for every little mistake.

Not today though.

Today as I exit the hospital, Mr Daxon Rivera is sleeping in a cell at the police station. He's been there the whole week I was in the hospital. I was sent here Sunday right after the incident, woke up on Wednesday and finally got out today, Saturday.

It's actually been quite refreshing and although I do feel bad, having Rikayne, Mike and Lydia pay visits to the hospital to look after me has felt kinda good. I'm not really used to all the attention though.

Now I go back to my house full of bad memories but at least I'll be alone. Without the familiar monster to haunt my every move. A car honk brings me out of my thoughts and looking up I see Lydia's car in the driveway of the hospital.

Moving my feet towards the vehicle I get in the passenger seat. I feel someone tap my shoulder and looking back I see Rikayne who has a wide grin on her face.

"Rikayne?" I ask wondering why she was here, Lydia never mentioned her coming when she told me she'd come pick me up yesterday.

"Surprise," she says as she sits back in her seat. I remain confused and Lydia laughs at my expression.

"Rikayne wanted to come too, when I told her I was coming to get you," she says.

"Okay, but when did you guys become so close?" I ask cause it felt like I was missing something.

"Oh didn't you know Ezra," Rikayne says. "We were both there that day and we bonded over our anger towards your Dad and how we care about you," she explains and I'm left stunned.

She cares about me.

"Ah okay, that's nice of you." I state and nod not knowing what else to say to that and they both giggle at my response.

"Anyways Ezra, about what's happening now that your father is in jail and there'll probably be a court hearing soon, we have three options and it's totally up to you okay," Lydia starts and I don't really get what she's up to but I nod.

"Mike, Detective Johnson and I discussed it, it's either I stay with you at your place, you stay with Mike and his family or you stay with me at my apartment for the time being," she gives out the options she was talking about.

I don't really know about staying in places I don't know, like sure I've been to Mike's place for dinner but I don't think I could live there, and I don't really like taking over Lydia's apartment. I think I'd just stay at our house and besides Lydia has slept over before it'd be nothing new.

Although I don't know about staying with Lydia since I don't really know much about her, besides her visits to the hospital I've never really spent time alone with her.

Either way all I know is I want to be in my own house.

"I'll go home, you can come too I guess," I tell her and she nods.

Glancing in the back seat I see Rikayne pouting and that tugs a small smile on my face. Lydia soon park's outside my place and I get out seeing the familiar two story house and my little garden out front. I'm a little surprised the flowers didn't wilt since I was away for so long.