TWENTY TWO

Chapter 22: Run

Ezra Rivera.

I can't believe I'm here.

Why am I even here?

I had no idea, I guess I got a little curious after what Mason and Saint said at the garage yesterday.

"Just meet us at Oak high football field, at 6am tomorrow we'll explain there,"  their words echoed in my head.

I wondered what they would need my help with this early in the morning at the school field. I shrugged my shoulders and leaned back against the tree I was sitting under. I took out my headsets and put them in my ear and the voice of blackbear flooded my ears.

I was early and I knew that, I woke up at my usual time of 5am, I guess a habit since I was with father. In the past I would wake up at 5, and clean up the living room and kitchen of the left over beer bottles and residue drugs that he had used in the previous night. Then I made his breakfast ofcourse I always set a little for myself the quickly wash away the evidence. After all that is when I took a shower and got ready for school.

But now that father is gone, and I'm living with Lydia, I realised I don't have to wake up that early but my body has already been programed so it's too late to change now. For the past week, after waking up I took the opportunity to study until I had to get ready for school, which was 2hrs.

But today, here I am 10 minutes before 6 on the school field, waiting to see what Rikayne's cousins were up to. A few minutes go by and that's when I hear footsteps coming in my direction. I open my eyes that I hadn't realised I closed and looked to the left to see Saint and Mason heading my way.

I stood up and started walking too and we met in the middle. Mason had a wide mischievous grin on his face while Saint had a faint smile on his face.

"Ezra! You're here, I'm so glad you decided to come," Mason says wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I immediately shrugged it off. But that didn't make him falter he kept on talking.

"So here is what we're doing, last month the girls, destroyed my car by painting it pink and covering it with glitter and I've been thinking of the perfect way to get them back so today is the day-

"Which girls?" I cut him off.

"Rikayne, Maddox and Candace," he lists off and then I nod.

"Anyway I have three different pranks for each of them, so Saint you got Maddie, I am pranking Candy and Ezra since you and Ricky are a thing, you are pranking her," he says and I'm now skeptical of this whole idea.

"What if she doesn't like me anymore after this," I blurt out and I reprimand myself like why would I say that.

Rikayne had slowly made herself a constant in my life, and I hadn't realised at first when she kept on showing up in different places until the day we made the deal to help her out with the secret racing, where I would then see her odd times of the school day. It was when I woke up in the hospital and saw her sitting there on my bedside waiting on me that I realized, I need this girl to stay with me.

Now that Mason wants me to prank her, what if she gets mad and decides not to be my friend anymore. I can't have that happen. "Don't worry lover boy, she won't get mad at you, she'll figure out I ropped you into this and give me hell instead and that's why I don't want to deliver the prank to any of my sisters and you guys are the ones doing it instead." Mason says and pats my back.

"I thought Saint was related to you," I say and they look at each other and snort.

"Nah my man here is a friend, his Dad and Uncle Mike are best friends, so we grew up together, he's your age so we take him more like an older brother but there's no relation at all," he explains and Saint nods.

I've just now noticed that Mason has done all the talking so far and Saint hasn't said a word. I nod at that.

"Okay so the plan for the girls who destroyed our car is, Rikayne will be covered head to toe in pink glitter as she opens her locker, Maddie will be covered in pink paint as she goes to the bathroom as she always does first thing after arriving at school. Candy the mastermind of the whole prank will get covered with both as she also opens her locker." Saint finally speaks.

They go on to explain how to set up the devices and we test it a few times before going to our locations. I find this whole thing interesting, dare I say a little fun. I can't lie and say I don't want to see the look in her face when she's covered in glitter. So the plan is Mason and I will be at the girls lockers acting like we're waiting for them and then distract them as they open their lockers so they don't suspect the surprise we hid in their lockers.

*

*

It's 7:15am, and the hallways are buzzing as the students of blue oak high filter in. It's 15 minutes before the bell rings to signal the start of class and ofcourse the perfect time for Mason's revenge to commerce.

I can't lie and say, I'm not a little excited to see the look on Rikayne's face when she's covered in glitter. Candace and Rikayne's lockers are opposite each other and I only learned that today.

Of all times I've met Rikayne up at her locker, I really never noticed that but then to be fair, Rikayne's been in my AP Chem class for most of this year and I never noticed that either. So Mason and I are standing near Rikayne's locker waiting for the girls to arrive while Saint is waiting near the bathrooms for Maddox.

Apparently Maddox goes to the bathroom first when she arrives then to her locker, according to Mason she takes mirror selfies of her outfit of the day before it gets messed up. I'm not entirely sure I wasn't really paying attention d the explanation even though I was the one who asked.

"So Ezra how old are you?" Mason asks after a few seconds of silence. I'm starting to learn that he can't stay silent for too long.

"I'm 17, I'll be 18 at the end of the school year," I tell him. I remember how I used to count the days to my 18th birthday in June but now I've been too occupied to have done it recently.

"Wow that's in 2 months, we need to throw you a great party, I'm 16 by the way and Maddie is my twin so we're the same age, and Saint is 18 actually his birthday was a month ago and Rikayne turns 18 in September," Mason rambles on. I nod to show that I'm listening to him although I'm pretty sure I'll forget most of it by the end of the day.

" Anyways Ezra when did you and Ricky meet and when did you start dating?" he asks another question.

I take a little time to think about it, I guess the day we made the deal is when we started 'dating'.

"Uh we met during third week of school, so roughly 2 months ago and we started dating in March I think, I'm not really good with dates,"i tell him while shrugging.

"It's okay, Rikayne said the same thing ofcourse with more details, to be honest I didn't really believe that you were dating her so I was kinda testing you but it's cool I see the way you guys interact, sort of like in your own little bubble type thing bet you don't even notice your surroundings. Anyways don't tell anyone but I think I have a thing with Jessi the cheerleader, but I don't know-

Mason is cut off from his story telling when Rikayne steps up to her locker and in our eye sight. She does something on her phone and pretty soon my phone buzzes with a notification.

Rikayne: during 6th period I have a race today, let's meet during lunch.

After putting her phone in her bag she goes to unlock her locker.

I press the green button just as the locker door opens and glitter is everywhere. At the same time I hear a shriek from the oppside of the hallway and I see Candy covered in glittery paint and again it's everywhere.

Mason starts laughing really loudly and I can't help but laugh too. The girls turn in our direction and the look on their faces says it all.

Run.

*

*

*

Word count: 1505

That's all for chapter 22. We got to know a little more of Rikayne's cousins.

It's a filler chapter and I wanted to have some fun with it.

Happy reading
Zaria.