FIFTEEN

Chapter 15: Flowers

Ezra Rivera

The dinner is over and I can tell that Mike is brimming with questions. Lots of questions are running through his mind. That's why I'm not surprised when he pulls me aside once we've both finished desert.

"Ezra can you help me in the garage," is what he says before gesturing I follow him back inside.

I quietly follow him to the spacey garage where three cars are parked and one bike. A familiar bike, one I've seen Rikayne race down the track a few times now. He suddenly turns around as I'm busy reminiscing about the recent race I've watched.

"Okay Ezra man to man here okay, what are you doing with my niece here?" he asks me directly. I was not expecting that confrontation and I didn't think it'll be one question.

I expected threats and violence to come and telling me to stay away. I take my time before answering knowing the answer will make or break his image of me. I don't know why but I also don't want to be told to stay away from her cause then it'd mean back to the quiet life of solitude.

I don't think I'd like that.

"Well Mike, I can't tell you if it's serious or not, what I can tell you is I like Rikayne and I wouldn't purposefully do anything to harm her" I tell him and I can't help but feel sincere as I say those words.

That's when I realize it, I actually like her.

I like her.

Wow.

He stares at me with a skeptical look and appraises me like one would do parts  at the autopart store. To see if it's good enough or not.

"Okay I'll allow it, one because I like seeing her happy and two because you've always looked like a good kid," he says and my shoulders sag a little bit relieved to hear him say that.

"But the minute I see her cry over you, stay away from my family otherwise e la morte per tuo figlio" he finishes off in a foreign tongue.

I'm not sure what he said but I knew it was a dangerous threat. One I didn't want to see come true.

"Yes sir," I reply shortly.

"Okay now that serious talk is over, let me show you my car, learn something new yeah" he says as he walks towards a white car that he often uses.

I follow him and watch as he opens the hood. Relieved that I didn't get beat up today.

*

*

"It was nice meeting you Ezra, you should come over often," the aunt I've learned is Mariella says as I stand at the door way. Rikayne is next to me as they wave goodbye to us.

I was first to arrive and first to leave, apparently the family is sleeping over and leaving tomorrow. Must be great having sleepovers like that. There was a time I used to do sleepovers.

Rikayne walks with me for a while before I stop and turn to her.

"You should head back Rikayne, it's dangerous out here," I tell her.

The truth is I don't want her to come all the way to my place, I'm not sure if father is home or not yet. I don't want her to see his reaction if he happens to be home. She nods and hugs me.

"See you at school then," she says before letting go and walks back to her house.

I watch her a little bit before I continue my journey to the place I used to know as home.