TWENTY

Chapter 20: Friends

Ezra Rivera.

The loud beeping sound woke me up. As my eyes slowly blinked open the first thing I saw was the white ceiling above my head.

Oh no.

Did he bring me here feigning ignorance as if I was bullied at school, that he found his poor son in a pool of blood.

Who would dare do this to the only child he had left?

"Ezra?!" a high pitched voice broke me from my thoughts of the vicious cycle that's my life.

"Rikayne?" I tried to get out but my throat felt scratchy and my voice came out horse.

Turning to my left and there I saw her standing next to me, pouring water into a cup.

She helped me sit up slowly and then gave me the water. I sipped as I took her in. She was pretty as always and I think I've come to accept that that's how she is to my eyes. Her eyes were red as if she'd been crying for a long time.

I wondered if she was crying because of me and it made me feel a little good to see atleast someone cared but also I didn't want her to cry because of me.

It was a complicated feeling that I hadn't felt before and before I could focus more on it a man in a white coat walked up to us.

"Ah Ezra, good to see you awake. Rikayne where is his aunt?" he greeted me and I nodded in response before asking Rikayne an absurd question.

I don't have an aunt. My mother was an only child and my dad only had a brother who wasn't married. He lived far away too, in a whole different continent.

Now who the fuck was he talking about?

"Oh Lydia went to work, she said she has missed too many days and needed to show up for atleast half a day," she explained and that's when I got it.

Lydia wasn't my aunt though neither was she my guardian. I'm surprised father let all these people be around me at the hospital. That's what happens when you get a girlfriend I guess.

"Ah okay then, well Ezra, do you remember what happened?" he asked me and I looked around first trying to figure out where father is.

He should be around here somewhere, how is Rikayne here at my bedside with him around?

How did she even find out I was in the hospital?

I guess the doctor could see my thoughts because he went to speak again.

"Your father is not here Ezra," he calmly said I guess it was to reassure me but that only made me more confused.

"Where is he then?" I asked, I was not going to say what happened until I knew where he was.

To hear the story he came up with first. I was not risking being beat up again for telling the doctor the truth, telling the doctors it was the drugs making me speak nonsense.

"At the police station, he was arrested 3 days ago" he tells me.

"What was he arrested for?" I asked while I pondered over the answer.

The last thing I remember is being beaten up because the police investigated him for drugs that Lydia gave them. Was it because of the same issue.

"For child abuse, Ezra."

I couldn't believe what he just said.

C-H-I-L-D. A-B-U-S-E.

Daxon Rivera was arrested for child abuse. It doesn't seem as simple as it sounds. Did he really get arrested or was I being pranked.