SEVENTEEN

Chapter 17: Mom's Day

Ezra Rivera

I take a deep breath as I go down on my knees. It's been a while since I was last here. Memories flood my mind as I try to focus on the words written in front of me

Diana Rivera
Loving daughter, wife and mother.
From 06/10/1975 to 13/05/2013
She was the best person you could ever meet, with a bright smile on her face always.
Rest in Peace.

Reaching my hand out, I gently graze the stone. A tear rolls down my eye. It could've been her birthday today. She would be 42. Her birthdays were always the best days.

"Hi mom," I softly say as I get comfortable on the grass. Not really knowing what else to say to her, I decide to just close my eyes and think of all the good memories of today that I have.

*

*

06/10/2008

"Ezra, Lia wake up," my dad's voice softly whispers and I slightly open my eyes.

"Daad today is Saturday, I don't have to go to schooool," I whine trying to pull the blanket higher up.

"No but it is mom's birthday," he says then I feel him shuffle. His words register in my head.

"It's mom's birthday?!" I squeal as I jump up from my bed. He turns to me from Illiana's bed and grins at me.

"Sshh you'll wake mom up," he whispers and I nod bringing a finger up to my lips to show that I agree.

Lia wakes up after a while and we both follow him to the kitchen, me excitedly while Lia is grumpy. He has prepared the stuff mom uses to make Blueberry pancakes and also some of the black drink he and mom love to drink.

"Daddy whath's this" Lia asks as she points at the kitchen counter.

"Where's mommy?" she asks again before he could respond to her first question.

"This is stuff to make mom's favorite breakfast and mom is upstairs sleeping be-

" No fair" she huffs as she stomps her feet.

"Mommy!" she screams as she runs upstairs. Dad sighs as proceeds to mix the stuff.

"Every year," he mutters to himself and giggle turning to run upstairs as well.

*

*

06/10/2010

The breeze ruffles my hair as the windows are rolled down. I would enjoy this drive if Lia wasn't screaming. Why was she upset, we're going to the beach. The beach is fun.

"Lia c'mon it's mama's birthday and we're going to the beach stop crying," I try to calm her down but all that does is make her cries louder. Dad stops the car to the side.

Mom sighs and unbuckles her seat belt and comes out of the car. She opens the back door and carries a crying Lia outside. Dad glances back to me and then towards them.

He also switches the car off and gets out of the car, walking towards the two. I stare at them from the back seat and wonder what could be wrong with little Lia. I go to open the door but remember that mom did something to the door before leaving the house. I attempt anyway but like I thought it doesn't open.

Sighing I crawl through the middle and get out of the car through mom's side of the car.  I walk up to them and notice that mom is seated on the ground and Lia is standing in front of her while dad is crouched to her height.