Promise day 9

The next morning, you woke up in your apartment!? You were sure that last thing you saw was the beach. How the hell did you ended up here? Your questions were answered by seeing Dazai's coat covering you.

He had brought you back to your dorm! The how did he got in, will probably remain a mystery tho.

After processing what happened, you got up and took a quick breakfast, realising you were late for work, and then immediately left for the Agency.

(...)

Kunikida: You're late!
Y/n: I-I'm really sorry Kunikida-san!... I promise this is the last time!
Kunikida: Hm... okay then.

He said and let you in. Before you entered, you bowed at him as an apology and then you went straight to your desk. There you saw a pile of papers waiting for you and so, you got to work.

(...)

The time passed and the lunch break came. You and all the members of the Agency, went down at the cafe for lunch.

When you got there and it was your turn to order what you wanted, you took almost everything they had in the vitrine and a coffee. Everything looked so delicious that you couldn't choose. You and Ranpo had the entire store empty in a matter of minutes!

When took your order, you carried it, with difficulty, at the closest table and sat down.

Dazai: Someone is hungry~
Y/n: Oh, Dazai-san! Well, um... I didn't had proper breakfast, plus everything looks so good...

Dazai took one your biscuits, without asking, and ate it.

Dazai: Mhm, you are right. It tastes really good.

Seeing that, Ranpo, who was sitting at the same table as you, hugged, protectively, all the packs of snacks he had and had the cutest angry face.

Yosano: Don't worry Rampo-san. I'm sure the no one is stupid enough to take your snacks without permission.

Yosano said and sat down next to Ranpo, where there was the only seat empty at that table.

Tanizaki: If only they want to be at Yosano's office...

Tanizaki said from next table.

At that, Ranpo, slowly, calmed down and started eating his snacks. You started eating too and without realising it, you started a conversation with Ranpo about your favourite cookies.

And that, the time passed and the lunch break finished.

(...)

Dazai: I think you're making progress in our promise.

Dazai said while walking next to you to an unknown, to him, destination.

Y/n: Hm?
Dazai: I mean, you had a real, as real as a conversation about cookies can be, conversation with Ranpo.
Y/n: Oh well, I didn't started it, Rampo-san did, I just answered and then he answered and then then I and so on and so forth...
Dazai: But that's a progress tho.
Y/n: I-if you say so...
Dazai: I know so-

Dazai tried to say but he abruptly stopped.

Dazai: H-how did you...
Y/n: That day when you went at the cemetery, I was there to visit my parents and I saw you leaving from a grave and curiosity led me there and saw it... I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose this day on something else so...

Dazai seemed that he wasn't communicating with the environment. He was remained looking at sign of "Lupin" bar.

Y/n: ...that day at the ship, I saw what you were holding when we were talking and looked it out and I found it... S-so, shall we go in?...

Dazai again stayed silent. He's expression was unreadable. His hair was covering his face but something shiny was visible on his cheeks. Was he crying!? As you were about to question it, Dazai spoke up.

Dazai: Yeah, let's go.

He said with usual self.

Once you entered the bar, Dazai walked towards the stools and sat at the stool were he always did when he was coming here.

Dazai: Ah, it's been years...

He said melancholically. Then, he ordered some alcohol and started sipping on it. You ordered too the same as him, cause you had no idea about those things, in the Mafia you didn't had the opportunity to get to know about those things, well anything to be frank.

Time was passing in an odd silence, Dazai wasn't looking at you, only at his drink and he didn't seem energetic as he usually was, until you decided to question it.

Y/n: Dazai-san?... A-are you okay?
Dazai: Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine.
Y/n: Don't lie to me. If you just don't want to speak about it, tell me, just don't lie to me...

Dazai remained silent, his expression unreadable but some time later, he spoke up.

Dazai: It's boring story anyway...
Y/n: It's okay. If you want to talk about it, I'll listen...

Dazai paused again but he decided to lift this weight of his chest.

Dazai: Odasaku was my friend from the Mafia... We used to come here whenever we could and drink our stress away...

You didn't spoke realising that he wasn't finished.

Dazai: Ango was also coming here but- We used to have fun... Odasaku was a good man. He was the one helped me when I needed it a long time ago, he was also helping some orphans that their parents had lost their lives at the Dragon Head Conflict... But one day, Ango revealed himself as a double spy from the government and because of it, Odasaku got caught in a complicated case- H-he wanted to leave the Mafia and become an author but his inspiration, those children, died at this case by our enemy. Up until then he hadn't killed anyone but after that incident- He went to the organisation's boss to kill him, managed to do it but he died to... Ever since he died, I haven't came back here...

After that he remained silent and he wasn't facing you. To try and make him feel better, you rubbed his back.

Y/n: Do you want to leave?
Dazai: No...

He said and raised his head.

Dazai: ...I'm fine...
Y/n: You sure?

Before he answered, he took a sip of his drink.

Dazai: Yeah.

He said with usual expression. Then, you raised you glass. He did too.

Dazai: To what are we toasting to?
Y/n: To Odasaku.
Dazai: To Odasaku...

He said and then you connected your glasses.