Case 2, day 3, part 6

The elevator started filling, dangerously, with water. Dazai was trying to find a way to stop the flowing but nothing worked.

Suddenly, the water stopped flowing.

Sigma: What happened?
Dazai: I don't know.

Dazai said out of breath after his tries to find a way out.

Sigma: Something smells funny in here.
Dazai: Now that you mention it, it smells like...

Dazai replied and then, his gut feeling, led him on touching the elevator wall. His suspicions were true when he touched the gas that was around the walls. Immediately after that, he pulled Sigma into the water before a fire broke out on above.

Immediately, Dazai began looking for a way out cause their oxygen wouldn't last a lot.

After a few minutes, the fire stopped and Sigma tried to get on above but Dazai stopped him. The oxygen, after the fire, became carbon monoxide which was poisonous for people. Sigma understood but he couldn't stay in the water any longer. Then, Dazai took Sigma's gun from his pocket and hopped from above the, without breathing of course, and started shooting the elevator's dashboard. At that, the door started parting and with Sigma's help, they opened fully and now finally, they could breathe.

Sigma: Dazai, are you okay!?

Sigma asked worried.

Dazai: Now that I can breathe, better.

Their happiness didn't last a lot though since suddenly the elevator's ropes broke and it started falling.

Sigma: W-wha-!!!
Dazai: I'm not going to leave you to die, promised to someone long ago that I'll protect people and I'm intending to keep that promise.

Dazai said and pushed Sigma out of the elevator, at the space of a floor.

Dazai: You got it from here.

Were Dazai's last words before he disappeared...