9 - A Snake in the Grass

Everything was a blur after the graveside service. We were thankfully spared idle chitchat, but it wasn't much, considering Dad and I would have to "receive" guests at the reception.

I blinked, and we were in the car. Blinked again, and we were at the front door of the house. Another blink, Dad and I were stationed in the formal living room at the front of the house, and the parade began.

People shook Dad's hand and talked about how great a woman Grams was. Some of them ignored my existence. Others gave me a tight, tense smile before scurrying off. Still, others gave me a dirty look before walking off with their noses in the air.

I suppose that was better than spitting in my face.

And even though they weren't talking to me, they were certainly talking about me. I could tell from the bits I overheard and the near-constant eyes flinting my way.

"Carl. Melinda. Thank you so much for coming today."

My head whipped over to see Brett's parents in front of us. Carl glanced at me, his eyebrows raised. Melinda glared, though smoothly transitioned into a sympathetic smile as she turned to my father.

"Dr. Turner, we're just so broken up over your mother. She was such a good Christian woman," she purred.

With the accompanying look, I knew that was directed at me, though I wasn't sure why everyone seemed obsessed with my faith or soul. Mom still dragged me to church every Sunday morning, and as far as they all knew, I was an upstanding Christian young woman when I lived in Davies.

I supposed when most of the town thought you had something to do with the disappearance of your best friend in the woods in the middle of the night during a party, you automatically lost your Christian status.

And if I'm being honest, my relationship with God had been on shaky ground since that night.

"That she was," Dad said. "We're really going to miss her."

He again pulled me into a side hug, and I offered the Carlisles a small smile. Beyond them, I could see Brett giving me an encouraging look as he stepped closer.

"You've been through so much, Doctor. If there is anythin' ya need, don't hesitate to ask," Melinda continued. "By the way, you do remember my cousin Denise, don't ya? She wanted to be here to give her condolences herself but had a last-minute appointment that she just couldn't cancel. Asked me to pass 'em on to ya."

I looked up at Dad, curious about who this Denise was. He cleared his throat and nodded, glancing down at me.

"Tell her I appreciate it."

That was weird, but if Dad was seeing Denise - or wanted to - it was none of my concern. He was a single, successful man. In my opinion, he could do better than Mom, though I wasn't completely sure if that was someone related to Melinda Carlisle.

Brett stepped closer and held his hand out to shake Dad's, but before he could speak, his mother reached beyond him, yanking another man in front of him.

I had to crane my neck to look up at the newcomer as Dad pulled me a half step back to avoid getting my toes crushed. My eyes widened, and an unexplainable shiver ran down my spine as I stared into the ice-blue eyes of Brett's older brother, Kyle. His very presence sucked all the air out of the room, though if you asked me why, I couldn't tell you.

Three grades ahead of me, I had never spent much time around Kyle, though his reputation was something of a legend. With golden hair like his mother and a smile that could charm any secretary and teacher, he got away with almost everything. He was on the football team and president of the debate club, yet somehow still led every rager. I had always been curious how he managed to be at the top of his class despite his penchant for over-drinking and skipping half his classes.