23 - The Bitter Mean Girl

Saturday morning, I sat in my grandmother's car a few blocks back from Main Street, staring at myself in the mirror.

I wasn't sure I recognized the woman staring back at me.

I hadn't seen Brett since that night he dropped me off after the party. My brain was still processing everything. The fact that he knew at least a little bit of what I had faced with my mother. What he said about Maeve.

And then, despite that, he still kissed me. Sure, it wasn't my first kiss, but it felt like it.

Maybe I should put "find a new therapist" on my to-do list. God knew I needed to work through everything in the worst way. Perhaps it might actually stick this time because I could be in charge of deciding who I saw.

Because, of course, I wouldn't realize until now that my mother used the therapists as another way to control me. I was also beginning to wonder if all those things they told me about my nightmares were bullshit.

There was a lot to unpack. Unfortunately, I didn't have time for that right now.

"Focus, Ash. Find Maggie. Get the truth. That's what today is about."

I still wasn't sure just how to do that. I only hoped that when the time came, I didn't make an idiot out of myself.

That I could somehow get her to talk.

Nodding to myself in the rearview mirror, I grabbed my phone and got out, shoving it and the keys into the pockets of my shorts as I started towards the main parade route. I was supposed to meet Brett at the northwest corner of the block with the courthouse. Apparently, he needed something to take care of at the office; otherwise, we would have rode in together.

I glanced around, watching as other people made their way to Main Street, happily chatting with each other. Kids were gabbing about all the candy they'd get while parents chided them over eating too much before lunch.

For the first time since I arrived in town, no one paid me any attention.

It was strange.

Maybe they had forgotten and moved on to the next gossip. Maybe it had all been in my head. Maybe I could live here without a cloud of suspicion hanging over me. I liked that idea. I could also be near Brett, even if he'd be in Tulsa for law school. At least I'd have Leo and Maizie in town.

"Aisling?"

I stopped, looking in front of me to see the last people I thought I would encounter today. Immediately, my hands turned clammy as my brain stuttered to catch up.

"Mr. and Mrs. Richards," I breathed, my eyes wide.

In an instant, all my memories of them collided in my head. All the sleepovers at Maeve's. Being included in family dinners and activities. I spent a lot of time at their house as a child, though as we grew, Maeve started pushing me to spend more time at mine with my family. I never understood that. Not when her parents were so much more fun. Her house was always full of noise and happiness.

Mrs. Richards always made us popcorn and told us that we'd never get any sleep if we kept chugging soda and watching scary movies. Mr. Richards taught us the rules of Monopoly and helped us put together giant puzzles. Natalie mostly ignored us, being older, but sometimes gave us makeup and boy advice.

Whatever punishment I faced from Mom when I returned for eating junk and being out of her sight was worth it for those moments of happiness.

But right now, they looked older and wearier, even though it had only been five years. Mrs. Richards always had a warm light around her and a bright smile. One that made me wish she was my mother. The happy woman I once knew was thinner, her dark hair more gray than black. Her face was ashen, and she stared back at me in shock. Her husband was frowning, though I couldn't exactly tell if he was just surprised to see me or upset about it.