CHAPTER SIX

Gabriel slowly began to regain consciousness- his vision becoming clear, but he was unsure of where he was. He felt an ice pack sitting on his forehead as he laid on what felt like a couch. He looked to his right and noticed a male standing in the kitchen with his back facing him. Gabriel slowly sat up and grabbed the ice pack off his forehead.

"Evening, sleepyhead," the male in the kitchen said.

Gabriel looked at the male and noticed that it was Kyhun in the kitchen. The two shared a smile then Kyhun spoke again.

"Are you hungry," he asked, turning to face the stove again.

"Uh-yeah. Actually," Gabriel said, placing the ice pack on the coffee table.

"Okay. It'll be done in thirty minutes," Kyhun stated.

Gabriel nodded his head before standing up. He walked over to a bookshelf that had several different photos of a family. There was one with the family celebrating at a baseball game. Another for what must be the mom's birthday. And one of a family silhouette beach sunset. Gabriel eventually walked away from those photos, heading over to one that sat on the dresser.

Except this one wasn't a family photo. It was a solo shot. In the picture was a male playing the violin at a school concert. He looked like he was about twelve years old along with the other kids around him.

"Kyhun," Gabriel finally spoke with a question in his tone.

"What's up, Gabriel," Kyhun replied, looking at him.

"Is this you," he asked, pointing at the twelve-year-old playing the violin.

"No," Kyhun chuckled as he made his way over to Gabriel.

"Who is it?"

"Raymond. He's a friend of mine."

"And those," Gabriel asked, pointing at the bookshelf of family photos.

"Him and his family," Kyhun informed him.

"So, this is his apartment?"

"Yup," Kyhun said. "I'm staying here with him to keep company."

"Did you move out of Shontail to stay here?"

"Something like that," Kyhun said, flopping down on the chair behind him. "But I don't think I'll go back."

"Why?" Gabriel asked, sitting on the couch still looking at his friend.

"Because you're not there. Plus, I have a new roommate. Complete weirdo," Kyhun stated, and they both couldn't help but laugh at that.

"I'll go check on the food," Kyhun spoke, standing up and heading back to the kitchen.

Gabriel stood up and watched as Kyhun stirred whatever was in the pot. "Is it done," Gabriel asked.

Kyhun looked over his shoulder and smiled. "Yeah."

He turned away from Gabriel and reached into the cabinet that was above the stove grabbing two bowls then he opened the drawer and pulled out a pair of black plastic chopsticks and a metal fork.

Kyhun placed the two bowls side by side on the counter and slowly so he wouldn't spill he split the noodles evenly into the bowls. Once the pot was empty, he placed it back on the stovetop then made his way to Gabriel with both bowls in his hands and their eating utensils in the bowls.

"Thanks," Gabriel said, grabbing the bowl with the metal fork in it.

"Mhm," Kyhun nodded.

Gabriel sat on the couch again and Kyhun sat on the chair. "So, Gabe," Kyhun spoke, twirling his chopsticks around in his noodles.

"Yeah," Gabriel spoke, before eating a forkful of his noodles.

"What happened at the coffeehouse earlier," he asked after he swallowed his noodles.

"What-"

"You passed out," Kyhun spoke, quickly cutting him off. "Why?"

The two both ate a few noodles not filling up their mouths completely before Gabriel answered Kyhun back.

"I- I don't remember," Gabriel responded. "All I remember was talking to Damion."

"What about," Kyhun asked, with a mouthful.

"S-Tech," Gabriel said.

"I was wondering why you were wearing those clothes," Kyhun spoke, after he swallowed his noodles.

Gabriel looked down at his clothes then back up at Kyhun only for a second before he looked down at his bowl again.

"So, you got in?" Kyhun asked.

Gabriel stuffed a couple of noodles in his mouth while shrugging his shoulders. Kyhun twirled his chopsticks around in his bowl for a while thinking about something that he didn't know how to put into words.

"Is everything alright, Kai," Gabriel asked, setting his bowl on the table.

"Yeah," Kyhun said, doing the same.

The two locked eyes then Kyhun looked away with sadness all over his face. "Well," he spoke then shook his head. "No."

"What's wrong," Gabriel asked.

"It's just," Kyhun spoke, looking at Gabriel again. "Let's say you do make the team; would that mean you'd be living over there?"

"I don't know," Gabriel spoke with a shrug. "I didn't think that far."

"And you know S-Tech is always traveling," Kyhun went on. "So where would that leave me? It's rare for Shontail to be able to go to competitions with them."

He's right, Gabriel said in his head.

"Don't get me wrong," Kyhun spoke again. "I'm happy for you. I mean you'd always dreamed of being on this team and you got it."

"Yeah," Gabriel agreed. "But you won't be able to cheer for me at competitions."

"I'll just congratulate you after," Kyhun stated.

Gabriel shook his head. "It won't be the same."

Kyhun snickered. "How's the team? Are they nice?"

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "Well all but one."

"Who?"

"Nico Peters."

"Nico Peters?" Kyhun repeated with question, leaning forward closer to Gabriel.

"Yeah," Gabriel spoke. "Do you-"

He paused once his phone buzzed on the counter in the kitchen. He stood up, walking towards the counter that it was sitting on and once he picked up his phone to look at the message, he looked at Kyhun who was turned around facing him.

"Vincent," he said, looking at Kyhun.

"Go ahead," Kyhun said with a shrug of his shoulders. "Duty calls."

"Thanks again, Kai," Gabriel said, walking towards the door. "Can I come back later tonight?"

"I'll have to check with Raymond," Kyhun said. "I'll text you, alright."

"Okay," Gabriel said, opening the door. "Bye."

"Later," Kyhun said, then Gabriel ran out and closed the door behind him.

♢♢♢