CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

With the competition on a pause, it leaves the teams time to relax. Well, the skaters at least. Coach Keiway and his assistant coach Caesar were still at the ice rink. They were in the office discussing more about the competitions. Keiway sat in the chair behind his desk, staring at his laptop screen and Caesar sat in the chair on the other side of the desk, looking at his iPad.

"What are your thoughts on the Pre Bronze competition in Utah?" Keiway asked Caesar to break the silence.

"It was different," Caesar responded, looking up from his iPad.

"Different how?" Keiway asked, finally looking at the male.

"Well for starters Nico," Caesar started. "Fourth is the lowest he's ever placed in a serious competition."

"I do agree with that. But the talent is definitely there in every single skater this season."

"Maybe it's because Vincent isn't in it."

"And that is exactly what I was thinking," Keiway said. "Think about it: when everyone hears Vincent Maze, they think the king of figure skating and they get scared. But when news got out that he's not competing for the 2024 World Championship title-"

"Everyone tries their hardest," Caesar concluded but Keiway held up his index finger.

"Almost everyone," he added, standing up from his chair.

"Nico," was all Caesar and Keiway nodded.

"But who knows," Keiway shrugged. "Amore and Reece are gunning for that title and if Nico doesn't step it up- he'll be passed."

"Let's go again," Nico said, standing up from the bench.

"Or we could take a break and pick up on this tomorrow, Nico," Sergio said.

"I want to do it now. So, let's go!"

"But Nico-"

"I said let's go!" Nico yelled looking back at Sergio.

Nico's hair fell over his eyes, neither of them breaking eye contact as the silence began to build up.

"If you don't want to help then you're free to leave," Nico spoke in a much calmer tone.

"Fine," Sergio said a whisper that was still loud enough for Nico to hear after staring at him.

He picked up his bag and began to head to the door. He got a hold of the horizontal push handle but stopped and looked back when he heard Nico's skates on the ice. Sergio turned away now, pushing the door open to leave the building.

"Yes!" Leo said with a grin and watched Angel sigh then lean back on the couch. "I believe that's another win for me."

Angel quickly sat up. "Only because you cheated."

"Cheating is not in my vocabulary."

"Whatever. Let's just play another round."

"Actually," Leo started, pausing the game. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Alright," Angel said, turning to face Leo. "What's going on?"

"Well, you remember my new teammate Gabriel, right?"

"Glasses?"

"Yeah," Leo said, then suddenly got nervous as he struggled to continue. "Well, I may or may not have kissed him in Utah."

Leo watched as Angel's eyes went wide. "What!? Why!? What even led to that conclusion!?"

Leo shrugged his shoulders. "I don't completely remember but after I kissed him, he told me that he likes Vincent."