Chapter 5: The First Unofficial Date

I park my truck next to my apartment stairs as Bear parks his truck next to my driver side. Before I could open my own door, he's already exited it truck and has opened it for me. This surprises me to no end, I mean it shouldn't considering whom his parents are... Yet it does.

"Thanks." I mumble out. His arm is out for me to grab, which I'm grateful for. This truck is lifted so it's hard to climb out of unless I want to jump every time.

"I'll install a newer and better step bar for you." Bear says with a chuckle at the end.

"You don't." I start to speak.

"Don't even say it. We can't have you hobbling with broken ankles, now can we?" He says with his brow raised. I shake my head no because he's right.... I can't afford to be in crutches. Not with McKenzie being so young.

"Good. Now that is settled. How about we get in my truck and get some grub?" Bear replies with an unreadable expression. He closes my door and opens his passenger door for me. I watch as the step bar descends from beneath his truck and rises into three steps where a step bar should be. As soon as I am up in my seat; he straps the seat belt on me and closes the door. He climbs into his driver seat moments later and pulls out of the parking spot.

"Pick a station or connect your phone to it. Play whatever you want. It's only a ten minute drive from here." Bear tells me while looking ahead as we drive down the road. I skim through the radio stations until I land on soft rock. Girls Just Want To Have Fun is heard as we head towards the other end of town.

"The phone rings, in the middle of the night
My father yells, "What you gonna do with your life?"
Oh daddy dear, you know you're still number one
But girls, they wanna have fun." I begin to sing along with the radio. Bear lets out a laugh that makes my stomach flip on it's top. He glances at me as I sing along with Cydni Lauper.

"Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest o' the world
I wanna be the one to walk in the sun." Bear's deep voice begins to sing and mesh with my softer toned voice. His singing causes me to stop halfway through and admire his voice. It's like the stress he's had all week has exited his body and beside me a carefree twenty something year old. The deep lines that litter his face when he creases his forehead have vanished. As if they never were there earlier today. As soon as the song ends Joan Jett's voice echos through the cab of the truck. Before I could even sing the first word; Bear's voice is heard.

"Ah, now I don't hardly know her. But I think I could love her. Crimson and Clover. Ah, when she comes walking over. Now I've been waitin' to show her."

Now it's my turn to side eye him as my laughter fills the truck's cab. This causes Bear to laugh along with me. The song ends minutes later and one of my all time favorites begins to play. As soon as the guitar starts to play; my ears perk up figuratively and my feet tap against the floorboard in sync with the song.

"And I'd give up forever to touch you. 'Cause I know that you feel me somehow." My soft voice begins to sings.

"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be. And I don't wanna go home right now." Bear's voice is in harmony with my own. I never knew his voice could be so soft at times. I quit singing just to listen to Bear as he sings along with the song. Once the song finishes Bear glances back over at me as I'm staring at him in awestruck.

"Do you know the meaning of Iris?" Bear asks out of no where.

"No. But I think you're about to give me Lesson 101 With Bear. So tell me Professor." I joke with my brow arched.

"City of Angels. The movie. The first verse, Rzeznik is speaking from Nicholas Cage's character's point of view. He gives up forever which is his immortality. He's an Angel. Since he's an angel, the true heaven isn't where he dwells, but is with his loved one. The loved one is the closest to heaven that I'll ever be. Rzeznik is a damn genius when he wrote this song." Bear rambles with his words.