19. Big Bad Boy

"It's my time to shine," Brandon Stone

Police were getting nowhere to find out who killed his sister, and since he did not care to be around pigs, he wasn't around cops asking about the case.

No one else in the family seemed to miss a beat.

But he remembered the horrors of prison and seeing men get their throats sliced from homemade shanks. Getting stabbed in the eye just to show power or getting jabbed in the heart to take over a gang.

He might have had to do a couple of marks to protect himself. It was a dog-eat-dog world.

Now that he was out, he had no plans of going back in. But someone had to look out for the family.

Like he did that fateful day that landed him in prison.

Kill for his family.

Except the mother fucker did not die. All they could get him on was attempted murder. His brother Alix told him about the creep that was harassing Jae while she was a student at St. Louis University. Jae was only eighteen, a freshman, first time living away from home. She was not the boss chick she was today.

Imagine trusting someone who in return tried to assault you. Her college professor. All Jae had to do was mention it to her father, and Alix brought it to his attention. Alix wanted them both to go and deal with him, simply threaten him, maybe throw a few blows. He took matters into his own hands and confronted the guy while he preyed on another young co-ed.

If a man pulled a gun they better be ready to use it. Weak men who hurt women were not.

Brandon shot him with his gun. Too bad he did not finish the job because the professor went on to sexually assault another student and winded up in prison with him.

Payback was a bitch. There a dead man could not snitch, and no one else would.

"Jae, someone has to look out for the family. The cops don't care, they are not looking for the killer. And your father doesn't need to get his hands dirty."

"And neither should you," Jae stated to him while he was in another session with her.

They discussed everything from family, feeling like a failure with no job or career goals, to his healthy sexual appetite as Jae called it. Nothing slowed down in that department. He was at Sextacy or Sextacy II nightly, having the ladies cater to him and fight for a night with him. He would take one or two of them home with him for more activities throughout the day. He fucked so much his first month out he needed to put his dick on ice.

"Did anyone ever find out about this boyfriend? Nas? Zander? Cordell?" He knew his other nieces would not have a clue. They were not about that life and would never be about that life.

"Nasiree has been away. Mental health vacation. Cordell and Zander can't focus on their own fucked up lives. And Unc, you need to get control of yours. You can't worry about the death of your sister when you haven't even seen or heard from your kids in years."

Jae always laid it on him straight. Dge was right. He did not like not knowing the whereabouts of his flesh and blood. He would love to have a relationship with his children. His oldest did not have his last name anymore.

"When my kids want to have a relationship with me, they will find me." He hoped he would be a better man by then, someone they would be proud of. Not an ex-con getting by with whatever scraps his brother dropped his way.

He had to make his way.

But work at his brother's clubs? No way. He wanted a job away from the family business. Part of his release into his brother's custody and not into a halfway house was that he would find a full-time job somewhere. It had to be legit.