25. Time for Some Action

"I think I'm meant to be in jail." Brandon Stone

He would rather be buried inside some good pussy than be in the hospital watching his brother fight for his life. Lix was out of surgery, resting, and he stood over his big brother. Watching him take his breaths. At least he was still alive. Things could have been worse.

Two shots. One in his shoulder, one through, and though on his side. Those shots could have been fatal. His little nephew already lost his mother, he did not need to lose his father as well. He knew Lix did what he had to do to protect his son.

Why was someone out for his family?

He leaned a bit closer to the bed. "Who did this to you, bro?"

He did not expect his brother to answer. He was out of it. Eyes closed, attached to machines monitoring his vitals. He never wanted to see his brother like this. It felt like he was all he had. Sure, there was his mother, his sisters, and his brother, but the bond was different with Lix. If it was not for his visits and money on his books while locked up, he would have gone insane.

Even though there was only an eight-year age gap, he felt like the only father he would ever have.

"Whoever did this, I promise they will pay."

He started to move away when he felt a hand grab his arm. His brother was awake.

"Bro, what is it? Tell me."

He said only one thing.

"Frederick."

He did not know what to think. Why was he saying that dead man's name? He was dead. His wife killed him and she was locked in the looney bin. He knew the story. Frederick kidnapped Prince because he thought he was his son...wait.

"He's not dead!" he blurted out.

Lix nodded.

"A'ight." His thoughts went a mile a minute. Frederick was back and tried to kill his brother. Oh, it was on. "Say less."

He stormed out of the room, bumping into Nasiree headed inside the room.

"Is Unc good?" He could see the worried look on his niece's face, but his brother was a fighter, it would take more than two bullets to take him down.

He wrapped his arms around Nasiree and squeezed her, kissed the top of her head. "Yeah, yeah, go see him. I have some other business to take care of." He released her, but she grabbed his arm.

"Don't do anything crazy. We just got you back."

He snatched his arm away and stormed off. Everybody and their momma trying to tell him how to live his life. The only one that held him down, was his brother, he owed his life too. It was as if Lix gave him the order to do what needed to be done. Why else tell him?

He still had contacts from before he went in and after. He met and befriended more hardcore criminals while on the inside than he had on the outside. The type of guys that would not blink twice when you told them to drop a dude. No questions asked.

He made it to his place to get things situated. Before the call, he was fucking Roxie Frost and her friend Lexie Diamon. But his mind wasn't in getting his dick wet anymore. Payback.

He barely knew Frederick. Everything he knew about the guy he knew from what Lix told him. Met him in college as his roommate. Frederick was not from St. Louis. He didn't remember where. He knew he came from a wealthy family and was the only child.

Quite the opposite of his upbringing. They were so poor sometimes they had to beg for food from neighbors down the street. Or steal from fools around the corner who were poor as well. Or beg for change at the gas station many unsuspecting folks headed downtown would stop for a fill-up. Darst-Webbe's projects were no joke.