18. No Stone Unturned

"Can't trust anyone, not even my brothers, or my sisters, or even my mother. I know her dark secrets as well." Roberto Stone

He had a feeling Alix would not do as asked, and help him find his father. So he went to the next source. His mother.

"How are you doing mother?"

"Good as I need to be." His mother was hanging out on her front porch, a cigarette between her pale fingers as she chain-smoked away.

Just like her parents, lung cancer would take her away. He knew about his grandparents, even though she never admitted anything to him or his siblings. It was hard to hide the fact that Senator Harold Stone was part of his family. Outside of the obvious last name, when he did his research he found records of his mother living the high life in Anna, Illinois with wealthy parents.

Anna, Illinois was once a sundown town, and nearly everyone there was wildly racist. And the legend of the town was that it stood for "Ain't No N---- Allowed." How his mother grew up in a town like that and turned out the way she had was amazing. She seemed to open her legs to every race in the rainbow. Her parents basically ran the town, and as such, had lots of money

They could have lived the good life, instead, he slept on pissy beds with cockroaches and bedbugs. Slept in bed with Nasiree until they both were ten. Nas wet the bed until she was twelve, but she would never admit that to anyone. He was the only one who knew that fact.

"You need anything?"

"If you can spare a few dollars."

Just like his sister long gone now, his mother lived off anything her children would give her. Never worked a job a day in her life. Well, maybe having kids and living off government assistance was a job to her.

He pulled out his wallet and pulled out a few hundred. He had more than enough money to give his mother whatever she needed, but first, he needed something from her.

"Mother, I need something from you."

"Of course, anything for my baby boy. " She grabbed him in a hug and kissed his cheek with her dry, chapped lips. The lingering of old cigarette smoke and ??? her favorite perfume lingered on. She snatched the money from his hands. "What do you need? You know you're my favorite."

That was a lie. It was Alix. He was everyone's favorite.

"Can you tell me anything about my father? Who he is, where can I find him."

His mother grunted, put the cigarette back in her mouth, and took a long pull. She stuffed the ten hundred dollar bills in her sagging bra. "You know if I knew, I would have told you."

"Even if you think it's someone, it's a start. A last name, something."

"You know..." She took a long pull on the cigarette. "You know who would probably know more? Ah well, who would have known more...my sweet little Tamra."

"Tamra?"

"Sure, sure...went to school with her and she partied with them too."

He was under the assumption Alix knew him from school. He knew that from the taunting Tamra used to do. Tamra was three years younger than Lix, she would have been fifteen when he was conceived, though shortly after, Nasiree was conceived.

"You have to have a name!" he snapped at his mother. "How do you...sleep around with all these men and don't even know their names?"

"You watch your mouth, baby boy. I did the best I could with you all. I love all my children just the same, the father never mattered to me and it should not matter to you. Look at you! Doing well without him. Thank me for that."