chapter fourteen

It's been weeks since the party.

Everything has gone back to normal. Surfing every day, a few shifts at the smoothie shop, babysitting the neighbor kids.

Bonfires on the beach, late night boat rides, barbecues at my house, and reading with Sunny on the porch.

Most importantly, I've been planning. Tomorrow is the big day. My big day.

My annual Fourth of July party. I go crazy for it every year, and so does our entire town. My parents even fly back for the occasion, and I plan it all on my own.

Right now, my back porch and the beach looks like the American flag threw up on it. Red, white, and blue banners, plates, decorations, little flags on the tables.

Even the cake is layers of red, white, and blue. When I tell you I go all out, I go all out.

I feel warmth around my waist as I set the cake on a table, and I look up to smile at him.

He planted a kiss on my lips and smiles. "Anything else you need baby?"

"Get a room!" Porter shouts from the beach, rake in hand. That's the only job I can trust him with, he almost dropped my fruit bowl.

Sunny was getting my parents from the airport while we finished setting up,

"It has to be perfect." I whisper under my breath.

"It will be. It is," Charlie murmurs into my ear.

"Can we surf or something while we wait?" Porter whines.

"Shut up!" We yell back in unison.

He dramatically falls, ruining the smooth sand he just spend the last 45 minutes raking.

Fucking hell.

Charlie kisses me on the forehead as I lay my head on his chest. "I'm scared."

"I know. Go get ready, I'll finish everything up here," He orders, and I happily oblige.

Running side, I put on my outfit. Blue tank top, white jean shorts, and my red New York hat.

Very patriotic.

Quickly, I braid my hair and throw on some jewelry . I look in the mirror, smoothing out imaginary wrinkles.

The front door opens, and Sunny's voice echoes through the house.

"They're here!"

——
AN// very short filler chapter the next one will be so good trust <3