Christmas

"Hurry up Dad, all the good trees will be gone!". It was mid-December and Christopher was tugging on his father's arm as Eddie stooped over to tie his shoelace. Behind them, Buck was trying to wrestle Aidan into his stroller, the boy's puffy jacket making it difficult for Buck to get the straps over his little arms. They'd pulled up in front of a local Christmas tree market and Christopher was practically vibrating with excitement as his eyes swept from tree to tree, already making mental notes of which ones looked good.

Eddie straightened up and put a supportive hand on Christopher's back, leading him towards the entrance of the market. "Now remember, we can't get anything too big because the ceiling at home isn't a high as we're used to and I'm not breaking my back hauling something through the yard this year".

Christopher merely rolled his eyes at his father's reminder and took off towards the trees as fast as his legs could carry him, crutches clicking away madly on the loose gravel of the parking lot. Buck, having finally situated Aidan in his pram, walked up next to Eddie.

"Is he usually this excited?" he asked, leaning forward to check that Aidan wasn't being smothered by his jacket.

Eddie just laughed. "Ever since he was a little kid. I dunno what's with this kid and Christmas but he's obsessed". Eddie knelt down next to the pram and kissed Aidan gently on the nose, taking a moment to appreciate just how adorable the little boy looked, all bundled up in his jacket and hat, a small tuft of ginger hair poking out from under all the layers. "I hope this little guy will be just as hyped as Chris when he grows up".

"He will be, loving Christmas runs in the Buckley family". Buck shivered at the uncharacteristically cold air and pulled his jacket tighter around him. "Come on, let's go find Chris before he picks out the most expensive tree they have".

With that they made their way into the market, following the sound of Christopher's crutches. Aidan, who had never seen a Christmas tree before, let alone been so up close and personal with one, was starting wide-eyed from his stroller, tiny arms reaching out every so often to grasp onto a low-hanging branch. After a couple of whines and cries of frustration as Aidan struggled to see everything around him, Eddie took pity on him and unbuckled him from his stroller and hoisted him up, settling him on his hip.

"Is that better, little man?" he asked as he twirled in a slow circle, laughing as Aidan held his hands out, taking small breaths of surprise as the pine needles tickled his palms. Together, Eddie and Aidan pressed forward to find Christopher, Buck trailing behind them with the empty stroller, heart brimming with pride as he watched his son and boyfriend weave their way through the trees.

They found Christopher staring up in wonder at a massive tree, probably double the size of Buck's living room.

"I want that one, Dad" he breathed, pointing up at the mass of pine needles and branches in front of him. Eddie looked the tree up and down and shook his head.

"That's massive, Chris, it wouldn't even fit in a church!"

Christopher pouted, turning to Buck and begging him. "Please, Buck, it could fit in the backyard!".

Buck was a much weaker man than Eddie and not quite so well practiced at fending off Christopher's puppy eyes. He turned to Eddie helplessly. "Ed" he pleaded, desperately requiring backup.

"Christopher, please, let's not do this again" Eddie said firmly, laying a hand on his son's shoulder. "They've got ones that'll fit way better over here".

He steered Christopher over to the other side of the market as the kid let out an exaggerated sigh and shuffled forwards, kicking his feet as he put on a show of disappointment. Eddie threw Buck an eyeroll over his shoulder and followed after his son.