Agony

The hardest thing about the progression in Buck and Eddie's relationship was hands down keeping it from everyone else at work. They'd agreed to remain as normal as possible while at work, keeping their affection strictly behind closed doors, but it was getting increasingly difficult. Hen had been the most suspicious after Buck confided in her about the kiss. Whenever him and Eddie were within 2 feet of each other, Hen would watch them like a hawk, her beady eyes analysing every little expression, the way Eddie would knock his knuckles against Buck's while they walked side by side, how his fingers would twitch as if he were about to take Buck's hand but changed his mine at the last second. She'd cornered Buck the day after the incident, dragging him into the locker room behind her and refusing to let him out until he'd spilled his guts.

"You and Eddie seem remarkably friendly again for people that were at each other's throats yesterday" she'd remarked with a raised eyebrow, arms crossed over her chest.

Buck had squirmed uncomfortably and valiantly tried brushing it off. "We talked about it and apologised. Not much else to say really".

He'd tried to side-step Hen and head for the door but she'd barred his way.

"And the kiss?" she'd asked, looking at him significantly.

Buck had huffed, resigning himself to the fact that he wouldn't be getting away until she was satisfied. "We agreed that we'd be more careful next time our feelings get the better of us" he'd said before holding up a hand to silence Hen as she opened her mouth. "And we're not dating. No relationship to be seen here, just friends".

That had been a lie, but it seemed to satisfy Hen, even if she did squint at him suspiciously and threaten to watch him closely.

The following week had been a proper test of Buck's self-control. Their "no PDA at work" rule was put to the test every time Eddie walked past Buck, the younger man wanting nothing more than to pull him into his arms, just because he could do that now. Buck could honestly say he'd never been happier, even if him and Eddie weren't technically "dating".

True to his word, Buck was making sure they were taking it slow. They'd done little more than the occasional kiss behind the station when no one was looking, soft looks at one another across the dining table and hugging one another when their shifts ended. Buck had started facetiming Eddie before bed, however. The two men would lay in their beds, talking softly so as to not wake their children, and talk about anything and everything. Eddie would tell Buck about Christopher's day and Buck would relay whatever new skill Aidan had learned. It was Buck's favourite time of day and he'd be itching to call Eddie the moment he'd settled Aidan down for the night.

Buck was getting changed after his shift, a bundle of nervous energy as he waited for Eddie to come out of the showers so he could ask him if him and Christopher wanted to come over for dinner that night. Buck wasn't entirely sure why he was so nervous, considering the two men had had dinner together plenty of times before. Perhaps it was because this would be their first time together outside of work since they had the talk.

Buck flicked his head up as the door to the locker room opened and Eddie emerged, shirtless, from the showers. Steam curled off his shoulders, which he'd failed to dry properly, and Buck's mouth went dry as he took in Eddie's shining torso as the man struggled to pull his shirt over his head.

Eddie's head popped through the shirt and he caught Buck's eye as he pulled the rest of the shirt over his body, smirking as Buck pouted when his view was obscured by the fabric.

"Enjoying the view?" he asked cheekily, checking no one was around before striding over to the blond and planting a quick kiss on his lips. Buck put a hand on Eddie's hip, trying to draw him closer but withdrawing it quickly as Eddie slapped his wrist lightly.