6. Capturing memories

Tw: substance abuse

The annual art party weekend was a well known event on campus. At least by those who cared about art the slightest or getting blackout drunk.

Admiring the art study decorated in all shades of colors, every year anew, was never boring for anyone and it surely was not at all an effort for Paige to organize. The environment has always been colorful, or at least aesthetically pleasing. Few works of art were shown as a sort of teaser for the much bigger event in a few months sight.

"All I'm saying is you should've talked to me 'bout it," I mumbled and shook off the frustration. "Also, how the fuck did you find her?"

Leo smirked at me with pride across the coffee table. "Oh c'mon, you know I've got connections." She winked and I continued wrapping the brushes in the floral wrapping paper. "Besides, I think you should go out more often. Bonding with people actually helps to feel better."

I scoffed and placed the tape on the loose corner of the present. "I am fine." Shoulders rolled, my fingers fiddled with a string, attempting to tie a bow. "It's been years since the last time, plus I don't know if Harriet and I get along without alcohol, you know? I never talked to her sober."

"No! No, don't tell me you left before she woke up! Cordelia!"

"You are one to talk. I don't need you to lecture me about behavior after a one-night stand —Who did you invite?" The smirk was indication enough, I probably wouldn't want to know which ways she used to invite her plus one. Her eyes squinted in a way I had only seen when talking about one person. "Caspian. You're fucking with me right? Leo how on earth? You finally talked to him?"

"Well..." She cleared her voice. "I used.. different ways."

"You creep me out sometimes, you know that?" Ignoring my comment, she gave the box she finished wrapping a push, sliding it over to me. "I'm sure she'll love the gifts."

"Don't get your hopes up. Paige might love yours, but I don't know what shit to get her!" Shoulders shrugging she pulled her hair into a low pony, exposing her cheekbones.

A similar picture exposed itself to me later, when holding Leo's hair and stroking along her back in circles.

"Tequil-ah." Vomit interrupted her attempt of voicing another few drunken tales, making me frown, but not loosen my grip on her ponytail.

"I told you so," I whispered and she attempted to slap me, though all she hit was air.

"Piss off—" More vomit splashed into the toilet bowl and my brows pulled together, in both pity and disgust.

"At least you're yourself after all."

Few words of affirmation at first and later on insults, were slurs from her lips. Using makeup wipes to get rid of her foundation and smudged lipstick, she fought me. Weakly I might add. Her palms pushed against mine, though hence her body was drained of energy it was merely as if an insect attempted to brush me off.

"Deeeelia," she hummed once I had tugged her into bed. "Delia, I love you! Sooo much."

Chuckles left her lips and I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, okay c'mon sleep it off." A much firmer grip on my wrist, compared to her previous attempts, prevented me from pulling away.

"I love you." There was a second as if she was sober, though her grin retuned.

"I love you too," I replied and her hand dropped, before soft snoring vibrations touched her throat. "You idiot." A soft smile on my lips I arranged the required equipment close to her bed. Staying for another half an hour, surrounded by her snoring, I headed for the exit of the dorm room.