14. Study time

It was no surprise to find Paige captivated by her own paintings. She sat in front of her canvas, two, three metres away, taking it in with a critical gaze. My footsteps were making no sound when stopping next to her. Fresh paint hang prominently in the air and the smell instantly calmed me. It was one of those scents you either loved or hated. Same as gasoline. A big no for me though.

Blonde hair pulled back into the messiest bun I have ever seen on her, she exhaled heavily.

"Painting block?" I joked and she frowned, but finally looked my way.

"Something like that," she mumbled and shook her head quickly, earning the carefree expression I knew to return. "So, how about we get started on your project?"

"My project?" I scoffed. "I'm just accompanying you to be able to say I assisted an artist."

"How fortunate I am planning on getting my pictures done." A firm grip around my wrist dragged me into the silliest two hours I experienced these past few weeks.

Paige laughed her ass off and she had this captivating laugh which immediately made you want to laugh too. It infected me really. Her silly attire was adding on top of it. She had smudged paint over her face and let her tousled main out of the bun. After only a few minutes I had forgotten about university, family and the stress overall. It was silly, really, but doing something you are passionate about helped take the weight off your shoulders for a moment. Cate was right after all, though I wouldn't mention it, if it wasn't necessary...

"How come you artists are not covered in paint for real? Isn't that typical?" I inquired and pulled my knees up onto the chair, whilst glaring onto my laptop in front of her. The pics were on display and just looking at them allowed me to recall our laughter and the happy tears.

"You're big on stereotypes." Her brow quirked playfully then she was all focused on the screen again. "Oh this one is good... can you grab my USB from my bag?"

Smiling softly, still swaying in the dopamine rush, I hobbled towards the tote bag and rummaged through it. "Jesus, you got everything in here.." Mumbling I grabbed a small notebook with a pen clipped to it.

Rolling my eyes I placed it on the desk and turned the whole bag over, earning everything to spill to the surface below with clicking and rustling. Tampons, chapsticks, pens, tissues, used and crumbled papers piled up. After a while Paige then said, "no, wait it's in the emergency bag."

"For real?" I exhaled and pried it open. It took a moment until I spotted the small item between pads and pills, but I eventually handed it to her. "I'll just..." Pointing my thumb behind me I returned to the pile of trash and began to put the items back into her bag.

The notebook in hand I pried it open, as it looked new and probably had that smell after all. Sticking my nose between the pages I inhaled. It did. Grinning I skimmed the empty page on display with my fingers, taking note of the stamped in ornament on the lower corner. Turning the page to the lamp to my right, I could make out a small squiggly stamp reflecting the light.

"You have fancy paper, where did you get that?" I asked sort of dreamy, still observing the pretty page.

"Oh yeah, we get special treatment here as FPU's only hope." A grin formed on her lips as she closed my laptop and handed it over.

"Please," I scoffed with laughter. "I'll make millions far before you babe." I winked.

Blonde eyebrow arched, she said, "mommy's money doesn't count."

"I didn't talk about hers. I will take over when she's tired of it and even if that won't happen in this life, I'll have my million far before you. But fear not, I will pay for our drinks after all every three weeks when it is my turn." She nudged my shoulder and shook her head.