Vol-1 Chapter-28

Villainess's confused heart

As the ball neared it's end, Lady Catherine and I were enjoying the snacks that were laid out on our table.

Her table manners awed me once again, everytime her knife touched the plate it didn't make a sound. How was that even possible?

Aside from that, I think it's about time...

"Lady Catherine, I'm sorry but I'll go on ahead first."

"Oh, Aya? Are you not feeling well? Shall I walk you to the dorms?" Lady Catherine says with her worried voice.

"Aww, would you miss me that quick? But... I'd rather go alone, I wouldn't want you to miss out anything." I say, trying to reassure her.

"Hmph! There is nothing wrong with that now is there?" She says as she crosses her arms, pretending to be angry.

"But, please take care, okay?" Lady Catherine holds my hand before seeing me out.

"I will~." I said as I headed towards the door, preparing myself.

***

As I watched Aya walk out of the ballroom, Carol taps my shoulder.

"You two looked very close just now, did anything happen? I also noticed you don't call her "Commoner" anymore." Carol says, with a smirk on her face.

"Yes... I feel like that we have certainly grown closer." I said as I held my hand that was holding Aya's earlier.

"Hello everyone! How is everyone!?" Teacher Loupe took the stage, I did not even notice that the orchestra had been moved.

"Does everyone remember when we voted for the ball's best dancers!? We will now be announcing them!" Teacher Loupe says, but I was confused, I never voted for anything.

"Earlier, when you and Lady Aya were on the veranda, we all had to vote for people that we thought were the best dancers." Carol explained.

"Oh! Of course, I voted for you Lady Catherine! You were very beautiful today, even moreso than all your previous dances!" Carol says as she pumps her fist.

"I see... Thank you Carol, coming from you, I am glad to hear that." I smile at her, I was genuinely happy about her praise, since Carol, being my personal maid, she was also my teacher at various things, and one of those things was dancing.

"Now! To announce the queen of the ball!" Teacher Loupe pauses for a while, building the tension in the room.

"Lady Catherine Bellerose!" Claps erupted from all the tables.

"Huh!?" I wanted to react, but...

That voice wasn't from me, but from a table two spaces from me. It was from that commoner, Sophia.

She was standing up, with her palms on the table.

"Ah, I'm sorry!" She must have realized that she was about to cause a scene, so she backed down.

As I stood up from my table, I could feel the scowl on the commoner's face from here. Hmph, I could not care less though.

I walked towards the stage, to receive a bouquet of flowers and a sash from Teacher Loupe.

"Now! It is time announce the gentleman of the night!" Teacher Loupe says loudly, as he once again pause.

"His highness! Lord Leon Zealot!"

I am honestly not surprised at this. Even if this ball was designed for the students, of course the royal family has to do something to boost their reputation. "A king cannot lose at anything." As the royal families saying goes.

His highness also walks up, to accept a sash from Teacher Loupe.

"Catherine, it has been a while since we were together like this, huh?" He says as he smiles at me.

"Is that so? I guess it had been a while." It made me think back on how long has it been since we last talked.

I was expecting my face to go red from his smile... But it did not, no, my heart did not even race at the thought about being next to him anymore.

That worried me... Why was that? I am supposed to love this person next to me, he is my betrothed. But how come my heart was not racing? I remember a week ago it was... But why is it not now?

"Now! We have our best dancers! Wouldn't it be best if we have them dance!? What kind of dance would the show us!?" Teacher Loupe says rallying up the students, commoners and nobles alike cheered for an encore.

"Shall we give what the people want, Catherine?" Prince Leon extends his hand out. He smiled at me, waiting for me to take his hand.

Maybe if it was before today I would have taken this hand without hesitation, but I found myself conflicted. Should I really take this hand?

"Lady Catherine." Carol, seemed to have stood up from our table, she was gesturing for me to give her the bouquet. Which I did, as it would get in the way of me dancing.

After giving the bouquet, Carol returned to our table and resumed her chat with Laura.

I steeled myself, just thinking that this was going to be a "Noble's duty."

I took his hand, it was rugged and hard unlike Aya's, soft to the touch.

As the slow music played, the Crowned Prince and I took to the floor. I was being mindful of my steps, each move had to be perfect. Each one of my movements, precise, sharp, and elegant.

Come to think of it, I did not have to mind that with Aya, dancing with her was freeing... It was fun.

As the song ended, the Crowned Prince pulled me closer making the crowd erupt and making me lean on his chest. I know that it was part of the dance, I knew that, but I....

The feeling that took over my body, I could not even describe it. But, reflexively, I pushed the Crowned Prince away.

"A-ah... I apologize..." I whispered.

As the song ended, applause and cheers erupted, It seemed like no one had seen what I had done near the end.

Quickly, I gave my courtesy, and so did the Crowned Prince.

"Catherine I-" As the crowned prince was about to say something.

"Loupe! Come here now!"

The voice of the principal could be heard, but the principal was nowhere near, was it perhaps his ability?

Without skipping a beat, and without hesitation, Teacher Loupe rushed out of the room and flew to who knows where. The students that were left in the hall were stunned.

As Teacher Loupe's figured disappeared into the distance, I suddenly had a bad feeling about this... Aya, I hope you are okay...

***

"Damn, this is not good." I said as I punched another monster. I was surrounded by orcs, goblins, wolves, forest bears and the like.

"HAHAHA! Yes! Struggle you Commoner scum!" The first born of the Drakes said aloud, he was laughing while sitting on a rock.

I'm holding this pseudo stampede back fairly well, but I doubt I can actually hold out any longer.

"Man, you talk to much!" I shouted out as I hit another wolf, followed by an orc trying to smash me with it's club as I dodged it.

How did I end up in the predicament, this was a big underestimation on my part.