Chapter 5

The shower's running and i've noticed some spots on my lower stomach, most of them are lightish green and some are dark purple. I pressed on them gently, i didn't know i was being that harsh on myself, i couldn't even suck my stomach in without feel the sting. I took my school clothes out of the laundry room as i was still wearing my pajamas, a tank top and underwear. My bruises are visible, i hope nobody walks in on me. The dryer stopped shaking and made a "ding". I was about to slip my jeans on till suddenly, my sister came in. "I left my dolls in your room... What happened to your stomach?" She points at the spots. "Rachel get out and go back to sleep." I whispered. "Who did that?" When it comes to my annoying little sister, she won't shut up till she gets an answer. "I just fell off the stairs at school." I pushed her out and locked the knob. The shining sun started peaking and the sky began to glow as i was done wrapping Owens present, i placed it in my backpack, hoping my heavy books won't crush it. Snow was already pearing, I wore my turtle neck with a jacket underneath, a knitted scarf, baggy jeans, double thick sock and black leathered boots. I was still freezing, luckily the bus was warm. I looked around for an empty seat, i spotted Juniper, we made eye contact, i looked away like i didn't notice her and sat on the empty seat closest to me.
Uh oh, here comes Juniper. "Hey Rita! I just want to apologize for my inappropriate behavior towards you and Owen. I guess i was so blinded by how i was acting towards you guys, i understand y'all are just friends and i promise i won't do it again." I was expecting her to tell me to Fuck off. Looking back it was unnecessary pushing her and yelling right at her face. "Oh, okay." But i don't accept her apology, yet. I believe actions are stronger than words.
As we were walking together in first period, she mentions that there's a new season of  "Winx Club." We haven't talked about that show in so long, we used to watch it together whenever we had sleep overs. I completely forgot about it. "We have to watch it!" I insisted.
Todays gonna be a busy day. First, i have to bring Owen his birthday present and tonight have a sleepover at Junipers so we can watch "Winx Club." My cellphone started ringing as i was in the middle of texting Juniper. "I need you to come home right now!" My mom said in a harsh tone. "Mom! I just told it that's it's Owens birthday and i have a sleepover with Junny."
"Now!"

"Let me see your stomach!" Mom crossed her arms. Rachel is behind her, wrapping her arms around her waist like a tight belt. That son of a bitch told her??? I shook my head in horror. She starts stomping, looking at me dead in the eye like a tiger coming close to its prey, i tried running off but in a blink of an eye, she snatches my arm and lifts up my turtle neck and jacket with her other hand. She gasped and pulls away, i began sobbing. "Mom it's not what it looks like!" I yelled fussy. She paused as her hand covers her mouth, Rachel didn't want to be part of what was going on, so she dally to her room. "Did you do this?" She stuttered. I walked around in circles, i don't want to be here. "It's just, i've gained weight and i hate myself for it." I broke down. "Sweetie, hurting yourself is not the answer, and you don't have to be on that diet anymore, you're already skinny." I know i'm skinny, but i want to be skinnier. "That scale is rotting your brain." She enters the bathroom, picks up the scale and places it in her closet. She demanded me to go to my room and cancel my plans for today.

"Happy late birthday!" I gave Owen his gift as we're sitting on the bleachers. He rips the wrapping paper and lifts up the wind chimes, they started singing as the wind blew in between them. "I found it in an antique store, it reminded me of your church." He twirls it around. "It looks just like the stain glass windows. Thank you so much." We hugged. "Since you weren't available yesterday for my birthday, do you want to come over?" "I'd love to, but i have a sleepover with Junny tonight." I scratched the back of my neck. "Juniper? I thought you and her weren't friends anymore."
"She's apologized. Deep down, i could tell she really mean it."

The last episode of the Winx Club ended, i smelled something sugary coming from down stairs. "My mom baked us cookies!" Juniper dashes down to the kitchen. Her and her brother started chowing down. "Do you want one, Rita?" Junipers mom pushes the plate of fresh cookies onto my face. "No!" I yelled in my high pitched voice. A wave of silence crashed, they stop chewing, i'm in the spotlight, i feel the embarrassment eating me. "I'm sorry, no thank you, but i would like take some home. Please?" I hid my face with my sweater.
"Moms cookies are the best, i'm shocked you weren't eating them." Juniper said. Her moms cookies are the best, i used to never miss out on them. "I had a big meal today so i wasn't hungry. Can you tell your mom i'm sorry for yelling at her, i didn't know where it came from." I rubbed my arm as i felt ashamed.
I got home and handed the bag of cookies to Rachel. Dinner was ready, i sat on the dining table and mom hands me a plate of roasted potatoes, grilled chicken and broccolini. I squeezed the broccolini between my teeth and noticed something odd, it was greasy and creamy. I spit in out with a napkin and caught a slight yellowish color around the chewed up broccolini. "Mom! I said no butter on my broccolini!" I punched the table hard that everybody's plates flew. I left the dining room table and slammed my door. She tries to play innocent, saying that she doesn't remember putting butter on my broccolini. "STOP LYING I KNOW YOU PUT IT THERE ON PURPOSE!" I buried my face on my pillow. My dad stepped in. "What's going on?" He asked. "I'll talk to her." My mom shuts the door on him, She places her hand on my back as i painfully cry. "I did put butter in the broccolini." I jumped up and looked at her with frustration. I wanted to slap her across the face, i thought she was helping me with my diet.
"Rita! You're getting yourself sick and you're already skinny, too skinny, i want you to stop with this none sense or else you're gonna kill yourself!"
"GET OUT OF MY ROOM!"

It's been 3 days since i stepped on the scale, i've put nothing in my body but water, granola bars and laxatives. I sneaked up to my parents room, my dad's at work and my mom's at tennis practice. I opened the closet and the scale is right in front of me, i grabbed it and tip toed to the bathroom. I'm 102 pounds, the lowest i've ever been, i smiled in relief. I put the scale back where it belonged and made sure there weren't any evidence.