Chapter 13

I stepped on the digital scale in the nurses office, 115 pounds.
"How do you feel?" Mrs. Tan asked.
It's tough seeing that number, but i will say. i do feel better. I have so much energy, i'm motivated, i'm not cold 24/7, i don't have baggy eyes, my bones aren't showing, my skin is clear. Not only do i feel better, i accepted the fact that i look better. It took me almost a year to fix myself, but it was worth it. I passed my GED test and my family is coming to pick me up. Nurse Eva hands me my dusty old cellphone from the locker. I hardly knew everyone in this hospital since everyone is so quiet and independent, but i gave each and one of them a hug, some of them handed me bouquets and cards, which was unexpected. My final goodbye was Bell, i can tell her hair is becoming healthy and that she's controlling her plucking. It's thick and wavy, I never knew Bell had wavy hair, it looks fun and it bounces every time she walks.
"Good luck out there."

Mom jumped out of the car and squeeze me, she spins me around using all her strength, dad does the same. Rachel then steps out of the car, she looks so mature. "I missed you." she softy said. As i got in the car, i look up at the hospital and saw Bell peaking through the window, i waved her goodbye.
It feels comfortable being home again, the clean smell and non-musty air ran through my nostrils. But i'm not gonna stay here long since mom recently got accepted to a tennis tournament out in California. Before i packed my stuff i wanted to go to the record store and met Chad and tell him goodbye.

The door bell jangled and there was no sign of Chad, only a lady.
"Excuse me, do you know if Chad is here? The owner of this place?"
"He moved to Ecuador weeks ago!"
My heart sunk, the thought of him leaving his record store never came to mind.
"Will he ever come back?"
She shrugged. "He lives there, i don't think he'll ever..."

I walked to the Bean Sprout Café right across the street with my head down. Guilt crushes me, even though it's not my fault. Maybe a chamomile tea will cool me off and wash the regret away. Without looking, my head accidentally bumped into someones chest.
"I'm sorry, sir." Wait, he looks familiar...
"Rita?" Owen?? He's gotten so tall, his voice sounds like someone else's and i can see pricks of hair sticking out his lower face and neck. His hair has gotten long, i can see more details on his golden brown curls, i cant believe 2 years can really change someone so sudden. His knitted beanie fits him well on his jean jacket and his tan chino cloth pants, there was steam flying out his coffee cup. I don't know why, but my face forced in a smile. "I missed you, you look so much better!" He said cheerfully with a bright smile. I couldn't help but hug him.
"I'm sorry for what you've been through."
I'm guessing he knows where i've been.
"Don't worry i'm better now."
"I see!"
"How's Juniper and the others doing?"
"Oh they've been good. Junior year is starting so."
"Well i've already gotten my GED."
"That's fantastic!"
I nodded. "Tell Juniper i said hi."
"I gladly would.. Listen Rita, it's been a while and i was thinking if... Maybe this weekend we can hang out?"
I would gladly hang out with him, but this weekend is when i'm going to move out. "I won't be here this weekend, i'm moving to California."
His expression changed. "Oh, well my apologies for bother you."
"But i'll be available tomorrow."
I was expecting the conversation to be awkward, the last time we talked, it was quite messy. But hey, we were kids back then.

With our fingers tangled into each others, i tip toed and crashed my lips into his. His face was scratchy, but he's a good kisser. He pulled me closer and we kissed again. "I'm gonna miss you." He whispered.
"I'm gonna miss you too.."