Surface

Years later, now 28, Mii-wa trained Naomi and I the way her Sensei had trained her, but because we were mutant turtles, we were trained in the sewers and have never been to the surface.

“Yah!” Naomi cried out, whacking down with her staff. I rolled out of the way.

“You trying to hurt me?” I asked.

Naomi twirled the staff. “We are training.” she pointed out.

Why me? I unsheathed one of my double-swords. I took it in my hands and glared at Naomi. She smirked and ran at me, twirling her staff before using it to hurtle over me. I saw it coming and slashed out at the bottom. It lost balance and both the staff and Naomi fell to the ground, the metal staff clattering to a stop.

“Ugh…” Naomi moaned. She looked up at me as she moved her black headband to see more clearly. “You’re getting better.”

“You too.” I said nicely.

“Thanks.” she smirked, kicking out with her feet and tripping me. She got up quickly, grabbed her staff and put the end of it to my throat while she kept my arms down with her feet. “But, you still get too close when I’m down.”

“Aw, Mikito, Naomi!” Mii-wa called to the two turtles in the underground dojo. “What are you doing? Changing headband colors again? Just stay with what I gave you to begin with.”

“But I like black.” Naomi said, getting off of me. “And Mikito likes pink.”

Mii-wa looked at us with a strange expression. “Fine. Just don’t change them again.”

“Aye, Sensei.” we both said in unison.

I got up, grabbing my sword and sheathing it calmly. Naomi put her staff up in its carrying holder on the back of her shell.

“Well, dinner’s ready so get in here.” Sensei said, disappearing again.

I hit Naomi on her shoulder as she turned to leave. She looked at me. “What?”

“Nice move at the end.” I commented, going after Mii-wa.

Dinner was good… Enough, but different. More green stuff I didn’t recognize. Oh well. Naomi picked at it before pushing the plate away with a dissatisfied grunt.

I thought I might bring up a subject both of us turtles were dying to bring up, “May we go to the surface now that were 15, Sensei?” I asked.

Mii-wa looked at me, “Sure, if you want to freak people out!”

“I meant tonight, when its dark.” I replied quickly.

“Well…” she started, “if you do, stay away from the streets, people and fast food.”

“Sooo, is that a yes?” Naomi asked, looking at Sensei hopefully.

Everyone was silent for a few seconds before Mii-wa shrugged. “We’ll try tonight, but if you do anything out of the ordinary, you’re not going back up there for another year.”

Naomi smiled and I bowed my head respectfully. “Thank you, Sensei.”

“But first, finish up.” Mii-wa laughed, leaving us to eat.

Naomi groaned and banged her head against the table. I ate quietly while my companion complained about it. “You’re not going if you don’t eat.”

“Ugh…” Naomi complained again, looking up from her place at the food piled up at least an inch off the plate. She blinked and began eating without complaint.

When we were done, Sensei had our stuff ready to leave to the surface at the entrance. She smiled as we came into view. Naomi, by my side, I saw jump up at Mii-wa, doing a front flip and landing in front of the gear.

“Be careful when you’re up there.” she warned. “That means don’t go sticking your nose in places they shouldn’t, Naomi.”

“Why you looking at me?” Naomi asked, looking at Sensei.

“Well, let’s see.” I chimed in. “You’re the ones always wondering what’s behind every new thing we get.”

Naomi glared at me before getting her gear and putting it on. I did the same.

“Alright. Again, do not use roads, talk to people, or visit any late night restaurants.” Mii-wa warned again.

“What’s a ‘restaurant’?” Naomi asked, tilting her head in confusion.

Mii-wa shook her head. “Nothing. Just be careful!”

“Aye, Sensei.” Naomi and I bowed, turning around and jumping out. Out to the surface.