Chapter 1

The shrill sound of the alarm clock pierced the seventeenth morning of July. It had been minutes since it kept buzzing like a bee, waking her up in the middle of her nap. With a sleepy groan, she reached out and slapped down the clock to silence its insistent ringing. She rubbed her eyes in frustration and... and just sighed.

Day five hundred seventy.

With open eyes, I stared over the ceiling momentarily while the sunlight filtered through the half-closed curtains, casting a soft glow on my room. The ticking sound of the clock is mocking me again, telling me that it's another day, another morning that I have to force myself out of bed. Pull yourself together, I thought, just like yesterday and the one before.

Tomorrow, 3:00 pm | SOS Children's Village

The notification on my phone says. With another sigh, I threw off the warm blankets and padded my way to my kitchen, my footsteps barely making a sound on the hardwood floor, obviously being lazy for today's morning.

As if on cue, my stomach rumbled, reminding my damn self that I hadn't eaten since yesterday. I quickly peered into the half-empty fridge, contemplating my very little options. Seriously, there wasn't much to choose from - it's just some leftover takeout containers and a few essentials like milk and eggs. How the hell am I surviving?

I ended up deciding on a simple omelet. The sizzling sound of eggs in a pan was the only thing you could hear all over the apartment as it filled the room with a warm aroma. I took a quick glance at my phone again, watching the minutes tick by.

I quickly scarfed down my meal while scrolling through my phone for any last-minute messages or updates. The digital clock on the screen served as a reminder that time was slipping away. With a sense of urgency, I finished my breakfast, placed the dishes in the sink, and dashed towards the bedroom.

In front of the closet, I hesitated for a moment. What to wear? The thought nagged at me as I scanned the neatly hung clothes. A small frown creased my forehead as I weighed my options. Finally, I settled for formal attire - a crisp white shirt paired with black slacks and a matching blazer. This will do.

For the last time, I checked my reflection in the mirror, squinting my eyes while looking over these ugly eyebags. Ugh. With a deep breath, I grabbed my phone, keys, and wallet and put everything in my bag as I headed for the front door. Outside, the sun beat down relentlessly, casting long shadows on the sidewalk. Still, I walked like I was just strolling around, even though I knew myself I'm gonna be late soon. I hope.

As I approached the building, I spotted a familiar figure in the lobby. I tried to quicken my phase, even trying to pass by without being noticed yet, she called my name before I even got in front of the elevator.

"Y/n!"

I closed my eyes as I waited in front before I turned my head in her direction. I gave her a nod and a smile at the same time.

"Oh my god, don't even try to ignore me."

"I'm not trying, I know I want to ignore you," I replied dryly. "I'm not going with you, Eve."

"Mhm, actually you really can't say no 'cause I already bought some tickets." I glared my eyes at her with knitted eyebrows. She grinned with a nod, "We're going on August!... Well, technically end of this month--"

"End of the month?! You said before Christ--" Then the door opened. I immediately got in as this woman followed me. I continued, "Everleigh, I'm not going with you this time. Seriously."

The elevator doors began to close, but just as they were about to seal shut, a hand suddenly reached out and stopped them from closing. The doors slid back open, revealing a man standing in the corridor.